Maslow Mark II - 3D

Gentleman,
Finally I’ve fixed problem with firmware and Ground Control versions, simplified design and separated all operations into different g-code files. Levelling my stock, cutting out contour and sculpting my NACA 63-012 profil are three distinct files. I used 8mm, flat end router bit and set around 13000rpms on my AEG router. The stock was 10mm and 4mm marine plywood laminated together to make 14mm block. Stock was fixed to workspace using wooden pegs. G-code was generated using Fusion360 under Manufacture -> 3D -> Parallel
This was my answer to coronavirus blues ;-))

It took about 3hrs to cut one half of the profile

I laminated two half’s and aluminum plate in between (for stiffness).

And here it is - primed and ready to be painted

Lesson learn:

1. After gluing two half’s and aluminium plate the result thickness of profile is 1mm thiner than design. I did not recalibrate Z0 between runs and this is probably the reason to be off. CALIBRATE after every operation as Z-axis always have backlash - specially my adaptation for AEG router Z-Axis mod with AEG/Ridgid router . I was off by 0.5mm on both half’s and result was 1mm.
  2. My initial problem with Ground Control was with Fusion360 generating huge files. This was a result of my profile design. I tried to be sophisticated and included many complicated 3D transitions from one surface to another - like on the tip of my foil. Because I have flat end router bit, the software calculated very fine tool path - like many small spirals along surface edges. Sometimes the spiral had radius smaller than trackin capabilities of firmware. G-code had 800kB! No wonder that Ground Control did not cope with such code. I changed 3D design, direction of tool passes and my g-code dropped to 13kB!
    KISS theory (keep it simple… stupid)
  3. Maslow is slow but surprising precise! My rudder is 900mm long. Difference in hight in NACA 63-012 profile is as little as 0.1mm in some places. Take a close look - cuts are very precise, but you have to make sure that router bit approach each layer in consistent way. I force tool to retract to top and go down to new level before starting to travel and cut across stock. My z-axis is agonising slow so 3h cutting was mostly spend on z going up and down on both ends of my profile for every pass.
    Current design of Z axis is excellent for 2D job but we should rethink z-axis.
    I think that with current Z design I will not venture to projects like carved door panel or sculptures. For smooth profiles (like hydrofoils/aerofoils) Maslow is excellent!
    Keep yourself safe and healthy
    Cheers
    TomD
9 Likes