Metal Top Pantograph kit available

I think my motor mounts are roughly in the same place as the original design. I made a completely overbuilt steel tube frame for my Maslow. I can’t guarantee that it will necessarily match up with a normal machine.

For reference:

Quick view of the frame as I was test fitting it.

View of the motor mounts. I wanted as much adjust-ability as possible.

Mostly finished machine. This was just when I finished getting it built, and hadn’t even made my first circular sled.

Agreed, there isn’t a need for through bolting. I wanted to make the sled fairly easy to assemble, I like when I just have to bolt things up. I got pretty good results as far as accuracy with the original sled. In the middle, it was probably ±0.5mm, mostly due to the bit deviating a little as it moved.

Further updates:

Got a picture of the washer stacks I used:

I may end up switching out the literal washer tower on the center mounting points for sleeve bearings or some sort of bronze risers. At least that way it’ll look a little more intentional.

I also took the sled back off the machine and moved the weights down a little. After running it a little bit in the previous configuration, it seems like I want the sled to be a little bottom heavy.

I also ran a file over the attachment points for the chains. When I hooked everything back up, it didn’t catch like it did in the previous video. Still not sure if that was because of the twist in the chain or not enough clearance. If it comes back up, I may try to clearance it a little more and maybe even give it some silicone lubricant.

Quick video of one of my calibration tests:

So calibration. Do we have settings yet for what we should put into Ground Control? I figure that the “vertical” distance from chain to bit is 76.2mm, but I’m not sure what to use for distance between mounting points. Isn’t the point of the pantograph to make that value vary depending on where the sled is on the bed?

On the original sled, I would change the distance between mounting points to dial in the X/Y accuracy of the machine. So far, I’ve noticed that I can do the same with the pantograph, but I’m not sure if that level of accuracy will hold across the entire machine.

I wasn’t able to finish calibrating it this weekend, not enough time in the day. I hope I can get it to where I’m happy with it this week.

3 Likes