Most affordable simple interface?

the dell vostro 400 craigslist one you posted

I think we have to be sure that we capture the right requirements for the device needed:

• do you plan to use it to run the maslow only?
  • or do you also want do design with a CAD?

If you are only aiming for the first one: system requirements for ground control are minimal.
If it is the latter, you should take into account the system requirements of the chosen CAD (example for Fusion 360 )

I’m running GC on Manjaro (arch). Fast and stable and without any bloatware. Only small issues are that 3 is the default python and I need to start with Python2 main. py. Kivy needed a little special care as things like xclip and xsel are not installed by default.

Im using an old netbook that had 4gb ram and win7 but ran into issues with Open GL

As I was stuck with being unable to upgrade Open GL to V2.0
To get around the issue I installed Linux, which I prefer anyway

I used OpenSUSE linux (Leap42.3) which works a treat with ground control

2 Likes

I’m using a N3150 (1.6 GHz celeron) running Windows 10 (has 16 GB of RAM though… long story). It runs GC fine.

1 Like

This is a question of skill level. The Walmart RCA Tablet is the most affordable solution. Personally I was looking at a current Dell as what I would offer as a pre setup system. I’ll go back to why after I finish my explanation.

As I stated elsewhere I don’t normally let the bottom line dictate my solutions.

The RCA tablet is not the best solution it’s the affordable one. It includes a keyboard and touch screen if I understand it correctly.

I have many tablets and the only one I use is a Microsoft Surface Pro 2. Way over kill for the Maslow.

If you know how to use a remote desktop the best solution power and performance in my opinion is the Pi. This has the overhead of learning or knowing Linux. ~$70

If you need a Windows Solution it’s the Latte Panda. ~$100-$200

If you want a solid solution a Dell convertible new Windows 10 ~$150 and up

I looked at Dell because there is a support infrastructure. They can warrant the device and provide all the base support. If you have a strong support need you can also walk into a Microsoft store.

My only advice on Hardware, this conflicts because the RAC may not meet this qualification. If you are not using remote desktop, have more then 1 usb port or don’t buy it.

At this point don’t buy used equipment. There is a good chance you are buying someone else’s problem. The cost of new equipment has dropped to the point that used is less sensible.

So if the question is economics and usability I’d buy a Dell. If it’s purely money buy the RCA, if it is a 1 USB port horse you must buy a good USB hub so you can charge and use it at the same time. ( cheep USB hubs will ruin your day with all kinds of problems hard to locate )

Feel free to PM me for 1 on 1 advice.

Thank you

I see. I wouldn’t have distinguished that. I understand that help was more readily available, however, if I run windows. Help is obviously a concern of mine. Maybe I will try my raspberry pi again. I am just concerned because I built it with much trial. The last time I tried, I couldn’t get it to get a WiFi signal but I have since extended the signal.

To just run the maslow, a simple around $100 tablet running windows 10 would be fine (raspberry pi would also be fine, but once you add the interface devices, screen, etc, you’ve probably spent more on it than you would on the tablet)…

To do actual cad work you’re going to want a real computer. Buying used works if you know what you’re doing well enough to verify that the hardware is good and you know how to reinstall windows to get rid of any other issues the computer may have in relation to software.

1 Like

I already have the monitor and keyboard/mouse. I’ll take this opportunity to show off my TBU (Tackle Box Unit) Raspberry Pi. I can store electronics supplies & Tools for on the go. Plano TB works great.

Having a hard time configuring “wipi” which has been discouraging to say the least. It would be cool to control something I built with something I built (the original r Pi goal), however I just want SOMETHING to work now. As I was leaving the shop my Asus Laptop seemed to be in a continuous “failing to configure/ reverting /don’t turn off” loop. I hope it comes back on or I have lost quite a bit of work. Plus even if it’s just to limp along until I get something else, you know? :white_flag:

2 Likes

Has anyone tried the OnePlus “One” phone, running Ubuntu?
They are sub $100 now, but still decent specs with nice touch screens… I’m not sure about how USB hubs are on them…

1 Like

Unless the screen is pretty big, it’s impractical for seeing the poisoning of your file on Ground Control.

At least this is my opinion.

Thank you

1 Like

OS of the phone is Ubuntu?

The OnePlus One is one of the 11 officially supported devices at UBports - the community which maintains Ubuntu Touch.

So it is not Canonical - it is “Ubuntu Touch” - sorry for not being clear at first.

1 Like

Interestingly enough, this is the advice I have FINALLY followed. Unfortunately I have had many problems getting Ground Control to launch. The thread that includes all the info is:
Most affordable simple interface?

Did you consider WebControl? Seems like that might have been the least expensive option, if not the cheapest.

I would love to have web control. I have been told that I need to reformat my pi and the small 9" screen I have was very hard to (hack the pi) be able to view on. If I could reformat without messing with that it would be nice. But I’m willing to do whatever.

So, first off, my understanding of WebControl is limited, so you will likely be better off talking to the guys developing it.

That said, my understanding is that if you have a computer or phone that has a web browser, that’s all you need to control the maslow using WebControl. I love your tackle box pi, and would not repurpose it for WebControl when another pi could be had for $30, and WebControl neither has nor needs an attached monitor.

I am hoping to implement WebControl on my machine at some point, and plan to mount the pi right next to the motor control board. I also believe that set up is not that difficult if you start with the image on an uSD card. If you were able to get your pi tackle box running, I would think this would be small potatoes for you. The result would be that you wouldn’t have to worry about spec’ing out a computer to run GC since the computer would only need to connect to a web page, and all the heavy lifting would be done by the pi.

I can’t recommend using webcontrol with a GUI system running as well. I do have a gui installed on an RPI running webcontrol, but I haven’t gotten to the point of actually cutting something while in that configuration. With that said, you can consider getting a second RPI to run webcontrol and then use the one in your box as just the browser to talk to it… make sense?

1 Like

I believe it makes sense but I could likely use anything we it internet access to communicate with it. Correct? Then I may be able to justify having this computer already in my shop for other reasons.

Yes, anything with a decent modern browser will work. Chrome, Firefox, edge all seem to work.

1 Like