Name change for Webcontrol Calibration options?

Change the names of the calibration options in Webcontrol?

• No, leave as Triangular and Holey
  • Yes, change to Classic and Precision
  • Yes, change to Triangular and Precision
  • Yes, change to Triangular and Hexagonal
  • Yes, change to Classic and Hex
  • Yes, change to Triangular and Polygon
  • Yes, change to Classic and Polygon
  • Yes, change to Standard and Precise
  • Yes, change to Standard and Hex
  • Yes, change to Standard and Polygon
  • No, this is stupid and quit bothering me with dumb questions

0 voters

suggestions for other nomenclature changes could be listed below here as well.

I chose to leave nomenclature as it is.

My rational: Wiki, how-to, tips, trouble-shooting, general discussion posts contain the original nomenclature. Do not want to create confusion for new users or people searching for answers or trouble shooting problems.

1 Like

I am with Tim on this one. I chose to leave it the same as I (as I am sure the other ā€œolderā€ Maslow users) am used to calling it Triangular (from the original GroundControl) and Holey (From the change over to WebControl) and the fact that it makes ā€œHolesā€ to test/accept calibration. Just my opinion, and have no issues if I am asked to sit down. Iā€™ll just quietly color over here in the cornerā€¦todayā€™s color is fuchsia!!

2 Likes

@c00nphrog you could have chosen option 3ā€¦ no need to sit in the corner, though I am curious which day the color is chartreuse.

Just because I think it is a good idea, doesnā€™t mean it is. It may just be an idea and will pass. So far, the Noā€™s have it. It is still early. You know what they say: vote early, vote often.

1 Like

I agree with Tim, the names arenā€™t good, but they are referenced in enough places that I donā€™t think itā€™s worth the effort to switch.

If we do switch, we need to have webcontrol include both names for several years for the migration

If we do switch, I like ā€˜classicā€™ for the original triangulation version, but I donā€™t know what is right for holey

I would like to see a variation of holey that flips the script a bit in generating the calibration values, but then uses the same math under the covers (Iā€™ll post that in a separate topic)

2 Likes

@Orob I donā€™t think it was a stupid question, I just like the originals!! (Iā€™m a sucker for nostalgia, as well as a big proponent of ā€œif it ainā€™t brokeā€¦ā€).

Chartreuse is every third day that ends in ā€œyā€ except for Friday, Tuesday, and Sunday (according to a friend!!) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Current Holey name makes no sense as I guess it refers to the fact that it uses holes???

I would much prefer that it be called something else that reflects HOW it functions. Besides, for some dumb reason every time I read or say it I want to call it Holly calibration. As in deck the halls withā€¦.

Practically speaking, @dlang is correct. The current names could be better but because of the history and documentation involved, it could be really confusing. Maybe if a significant enough of a change is made to Holey Cal then we can refer to it as something new