New motor mount suggestion

Can I purchase a set from you? Maybe you could sell them via shapeways?

@phil Welcome to our group.

They are 1/8th inch plate steel laser cut on an industrial laser then sent to a be bent. We had a handful made. I work outside and it’s raining so I can’t test them yet. We are waiting on large quantity quotes.

Shapeways is not a option because they would be casting them. This would not have any consistency in strength.

As designed it is Fast, Accurate, Simple. It’s also custom. As soon as it’s tested we can look forward on the next steps.

Thank you

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. I was on my phone and the photos looked like cast metal, which I see now is not the case! These look great, and will probably be helpful for my folding design in a small shop where I might have to disassemble things from time to time.

2 Likes

How has this mount worked out and have you (or anyone) tried it on unistrut? I’m contemplating my new frame and want to use a unistrut top beam and looking for a good solution to mounting the motor to it.

if you mount the motor to the outside of the (standard) L-bracket you can then use the back side of the motor mount to hold the motor firm against full height unistrut.

The L-Bracket slips underneath and can be bolted through with 2x 1/4"x2.5" bolts, using doubled up washers to keep everything from sliding around and standard 1/4" unistrut nuts (or the included nuts, it doesnt matter, nor should the orientation of the unistrut.

This keeps the motor body against the unistrut cross bar and has resulted in 0 flexing here.

2 Likes

I’m using it on 10ft Wood top beam. I have not run my calibration on the new frame yet. @Dlang is going to use Unistrut. @Phil has a set and @bar too. Have either of you mounted them yet?

I did see @mrfugu picture and mounted my motor using the back side. and with my motors flipped connectors outward I’m very close to the same size @bar recently suggested by cutting ~1 inch off.

testing a new top beam construction:

From 2 days ago when I decided to go with the bottom mount strechy cords:
IMG_5379
see close pictures in this thread -

Thank you

Thanks, I understand now. I didn’t realize the motor had holes on the backside as well… all makes sense.

Get that Beetle running fellow Airhead!

1 Like

It had a engine fuel line fire 2 years ago. I started the troubleshooting I hope to have the engine turning over again some time next month but there is a lot to replace even if i get it to start. I had just put a Zero mile rebuilt Freeway flyer transmission and front discs on it. So much to do.

Thank you

2 Likes

I ended up bending one of my mounts when the top beam of my new frame fell as I was trying to install it (somethings really could use two people to do). So, before I order a new “compatible” one, I was wondering if anyone has looked further into producing more of these? I haven’t seen anything on it recently, so curious as to if anything is being worked on. My top beam is unistrut and it’s a pain attaching the current motor mount to the strut and am looking for a better solution.

We posted the file in the community garden. I did a production run with Dlang. I sent a set to Bar and sold one, and use one. I have had good success with mine. I don’t know if Dlang has built a Maslow yet. He had a few sets. They were pretty pricey to make and to do a quantity I was looking at over 10k. I discussed it with Dlang and we put the file in the wild so anyone could pick it up. If you have access to a break that can handle it they are fairly simple. It is highly prohibitive when doing it as R&D @ 10 units and the guy down stream is hiring a guy to do the bending.

If I were able to package my own High End Maslow - Upgraded Driver Board , plug n play out of the box, Smart power strip included - I’d have these included.

So to answer the question I’ve had zero problems with mine, they were mostly painless to install save the fact I wanted to screw from the back and built a composite beam covering access so I just had to cut 4 inches off the beam in the back side to have full access.

Hope this helps

Thank you

Thanks for the response. I ordered a pair of generic brackets (and they’ll take 3-4 weeks to make it to the US). I managed to hammer the damaged bracket back to close position and it seems to work “okay”. I’ll probably drill some hole(s) in the new brackets to facilitate it’s installation on unistrut or just mount a block of wood to the unistrut and screw the mounts into that…

why are these better than the stock Chinese ones? seems like a Unistrut nut and would fit in either design?

The stock mount has two narrow slots for attaching to the top beam. I tried using then bolts that fit through and large fender washers, but it just turned into a mess. Have any suggestions on mounting?

why did it turn into a big mess? the motor has 4 screws on the front AND on the back. if you use the back screws then there is ample room to use the two mounting slots.

The issue wasn’t clearance with the motor… I just had a big mess with these thin screws going through the mount and then the slot in the unistrut (which is slotted a different direction than the mount slots) and getting washers and nuts on the back side of the unistrut to hold it all down tightly. I tried long screws but the fender washers just barely stretched across the open ends of the “U” and started to bend. If I used larger fender washers, the nuts would pass through… and I didn’t have another set smaller washers handy to add to the larger washers… it just became a mess. I ended up cutting a piece of hardwood to slide into the unistrut channel and used wood screws to screw down the mount (through the unistrut slot). It seems solid.

Unistrut makes special spring loaded nuts that slide into their channels. two 1/4" nuts would of worked perfectly, but jammed wood is fine too.

But the slots in the mount are smaller than 1/4 inch (at least I think they are iirc)

correct they are 5.5.mm. either drill a new hole or widen out the slots with a drill bit. use a vice to hold or angle grinder would work too. or even a hand file with a bit of elbow grease

I used a drill press to accurately drill holes in the unistrut for the motors, then a tap to tap the holes. I should take a picture and upload it next time i’m near my maslow.

and the spring loaded nuts for unistrut are 3/8 inch threaded, and they are designed to hold things in the groove, not designed to hold things to the top of the unistrut. They dig into the inside of the bottom of the strut, not suitable for upwards pressure.

1 Like