New ring system

The forums are great for that! If one person has a question, the rest of us probably to too! :grinning:

1 Like

can you upload a AI, or DXF file for the template for new ring please! i will add it my cut file

1 Like

Yes! Give me a couple minutes to get it ready.

1 Like

Alignment Template.dxf (62.1 KB)

Let me know if that doesn’t work!

2 Likes

There is a 1in by 1in (25.4mm) square in the corner which is just there to make sure the file didn’t get scaled wrong in the printing process so ignore it :grinning:

2 Likes

Just checked my inbox and say that the kits will be delayed shipping. So, I was planning on working on the Sled this weekend, and I am glad I saw this, because i was going to use my Jasper Circle cutting jig and cut out a 17 inch circle and a 3" hole in the center. 17 inch is still the recommended diameter?

Since your template uses the center point I will hold off on the center hole. The Jasper jig uses a small 1/8" pin to center on, I will not route it out until after the template holes are drilled.

1 Like

17 inches IS still the right size. I believe that there are files for both 17 and 18 inches floating around and either one will work well. The hope with the template is that you would be able to reference it to a sled which already had the center hole cut out, but since you have the option to leave the center in I think that sounds like a good plan.

1 Like

I’m kind of .dxf challenged, a personal shortcoming :grin:, so I made a BigPrint .pdf version of the template on a 1 inch grid to print out and paste together. MaslowCNC-ring-template.pdf (218.1 KB))

4 Likes

What is the status of the Ring System? Part availability for existing kit owners?

2 Likes

As I understand it Bar is waiting for them to arrive. As soon as they arrive
there will be a mad scramble to get the new kits out to people, after that they
rings will be available for sale to retrofit machines

He doesn’t want to have to deal with the individial orders while he is trying to
get the massive shipments out.

3 Likes

Yup, that’s the plan :grinning:

Basically we want to get kits out to everyone asap and then we will start shipping just the rings as a retrofit. There won’t be like a big delay, hopefully we’ll be able to start shipping rings the day after we get all the kits out.

The ship that they are on got into port today so we’re getting close :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

What I think that he is looking for is an exact layout of where everything will go on the entire sled. A file that can be printed and taped together and glued to a piece of wood to show exactly where to cut, where to place screws to mount the router, where to place bricks, and where to screw in new ring system. I was trying to find this printout as well. So that the entire build doesn’t require any temporary frames/sleds.

the ring gets placed with a template and screwed down to the top of the sled, no
holes have to be pre-drilled

the mounting holes for the router will vary based on the router, use the router
base as a template to drill those holes.

the brick holders just need to be wide enough to hold the bricks, and the
location isn’t critical, so make a couple bars to hold the bricks and
match-drill through the sled for the mounting holes

2 Likes

@Bar Any idea what cost and shipping will be for owners choosing to retrofit?

1 Like

the guess several months ago was around $40

1 Like

Because the ring is big we will probably have to ship it in the same flat rate box that the kits ship in so the shipping cost would be the same

3 Likes

Does this pdf still exist somewhere or is there an updated one? The link in this forum no longer works.

1 Like

Here you go
MaslowCNC-ring-template.pdf (218.1 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks!

This worked great. I just finished (finally) my meticulous Z build. Getting 10-32 bolts in NZ is a pain! Every time I’d go to look, the prices discouraged me and I’d shelf the project again. But this template helped me get everything aligned since I had to make my own parts that were different dimensions from the original build.

2 Likes