Oreo Cookie Sled Idea!

From reading the forums, I got the impression that the best cut comes from getting the chains, as close to the bit as possible. I have looked at several of the linkage/triangulation kits that people have posted, but am noticing that you can only get so close before the router becomes an issue. The new ring kit works around the router, and both the other kits are limited about the router also.

My thought was an Oreo Cookie kind of sled… Where the top wafer (sized to just large enough to support the router, the filling would be some sort of triangulation device which can now get real close to the bit, and then the bottom wafer would be the 18" sled.

The two wafers would have to be independent of each other so that they could spin in opposite directions while remaining concentric. I have come up with a few ideas on how to do this, but since I do not yet own a Maslow, I can not put my theories to the test.

The only downfall I see is without longer bits, your cut depth will be limited. To some degree this can be remedied by thinner wafers on the top and bottom, or recessing the triangulation device into the top and bottom wafers.

Sorry for the Cookie references, but I do like Oreo’s.

2 Likes

From reading the forums, I got the impression that the best cut comes from
getting the chains, as close to the bit as possible.

no, it’s from getting the chains to point directly at the bit as accuratly as
possible and remain at the same distance from the bit at all times.

My thought was an Oreo Cookie kind of sled… Where the top wafer (sized to
just large enough to support the router, the filling would be some sort of
triangulation device which can now get real close to the bit, and then the
bottom wafer would be the 18" sled.

the problem is that your chains would be very close to the sled, and therefor
the weight of the router and bricks would cause the sled to rotate (falling away
from the workpiece)

2 Likes

Ah, ok…thanks for the insight