Pinning in Discourse

@Gero @bar

I changed two site settings today:

“Automatically Unpin Topics” and “Default Topics Automatic Unpin” have both been disabled.

This should (for the most part) keep pinned topics at the top of their respective categories.

I also added a CSS customization:

.pinned-button {
display: none;
}

This prevents the pin options from showing up when a user views a topic. That will prevent them from unpinning a pinned topic. Our more frequent visitors might grumble a bit about this but it will be super helpful for newbies who often need to refer to the list link in the pinned topic at the top of each cagegory.

Also, I think rather than pinning multiple topics at the top of each category, we should make these pinned topics sort of a high-value “super thread” That keeps all the pertinent information in one spot without filling up the users screen with a ton of pinned topics.

We can still pin topics temporarily (using the expiration date feature).

What do you guys think?

6 Likes

I like it!

Thank you

1 Like

Excellent adjustments! Thank you for putting the thought in and doing that right!

1 Like

I have difficulties to separate what I see and what a new user sees, If what you have done, does what I think it does, :rofl: Great Work!

Happy to help, fellas.

I have the benefit of having moderated several other forum engines so weird stuff about discourse stands out like a sore thumb! Generally I’m happy or indifferent to their way of doing things but this one irked me a bit.

I’ll spend some time making sure the sticky posts are germane and accurate.

1 Like

Sorry to say that the new user johndoe could unpin the ‘About’ and the new user janedoe would not see it at the top :-(.
But! I’m kind of drunk, so might have tested wrong.
Edit: Thanks @TheRiflesSpiral for taking this on. It’s been bugging me for a while.
Edit2: Will delete john and and jane and try again with jack and jill.

2 Likes

If I get blocked for suspicious activity from the same IP address, kindly unblock me :wink:
JaneDoe already received this notice:
" Hello, This is an automated message from Maslow CNC Forums to let you know that your account has been temporarily placed on hold as a precautionary measure.
Please do continue to browse, but you won’t be able to reply or create topics until a staff member reviews your most recent posts. We apologize for the inconvenience. For additional guidance, refer to our community guidelines."

I want to replicate what I’ve seen with John and Jane using Jack and Jill, but after the second coffee in the morning.

1 Like

Whoops! I’ll check the new users…

I don’t see any messages in “needs approval” or held users. Post away!

@Gero

When you get around to the testing, can you do a screenshot of the button/text (whatever) you’re using to do the pinning? I’m guessing there’s a CSS class I’ve overlooked that might contain objects that duplicate the functions of the .pinned-button class objects.