[Public Release Thread] Makerverse is a Universal Controller App for CNC & 3DP (and includes Maslow upgrades)

Adding the :8000 was my only way to get in. I had thought it was on port 80 but I may have been reading wrong?

makerverse.local . I mis-typed. I did assume task manager would show either makerverse or launch. One of the previous versions did show that, but I could be mistaken and remembering something from webcontrol

1 Like

This is the bug. On the Desktop version, it is not allowed to use port 80. So it failed to start. By using the bin/launch approach, you switched it back to port 8000.

Understood! I applaud you for the great amount of work you have done to make this happen. I only wish I was a bit smarter on some of this stuff but you have managed to guide me through with your posts and directions… my hats off to you… that’s not always easy!!

1 Like

I just re-flashed desktop for a fresh install. I’ll post the ssh logs after it loads for 10-15 min

After I reflashed the Desktop 1.1.2 version and let it update and run makerverse, these are the SSH logs

pi@makerverse:~ $ sudo systemctl status makerverse
● makerverse.service - Makerverse Server
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/makerverse.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2020-11-01 15:23:00 EST; 10min ago
Main PID: 1038 (code=exited, status=127)

Nov 01 15:23:00 makerverse systemd[1]: makerverse.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Nov 01 15:23:00 makerverse systemd[1]: makerverse.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Nov 01 15:23:00 makerverse systemd[1]: Stopped Makerverse Server.
Nov 01 15:23:00 makerverse systemd[1]: makerverse.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Nov 01 15:23:00 makerverse systemd[1]: makerverse.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Nov 01 15:23:00 makerverse systemd[1]: Failed to start Makerverse Server.

1 Like

pi@makerverse:~ sudo systemctl restart makerverse pi@makerverse:~ sudo systemctl status makerverse
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/makerverse.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2020-11-01 15:36:12 EST; 9min ago
Process: 4629 ExecStart=/sbin/runuser -l pi -c 80 && /home/pi/makerverse/bin/launch (code=exited, status=127)
Main PID: 4629 (code=exited, status=127)

Nov 01 15:36:12 makerverse systemd[1]: makerverse.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Nov 01 15:36:12 makerverse systemd[1]: makerverse.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Nov 01 15:36:12 makerverse systemd[1]: Stopped Makerverse Server.
Nov 01 15:36:12 makerverse systemd[1]: makerverse.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Nov 01 15:36:12 makerverse systemd[1]: makerverse.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Nov 01 15:36:12 makerverse systemd[1]: Failed to start Makerverse Server.

Thanks, both. I’m 99% certain that the port 80 vs. port 8000 is the problem. The former seems to only work on the lite (not desktop) version. I’ll double check this hypothesis and fix it, but I may be forced to switch back to port 8000.

In the mean time, you should be able to switch back to port 8000 yourself by running the following command:

cd ~/makerverse
bin/server install
sudo reboot

After which point, Makerverse should start automatically on port 8000 (instead of forcing you to run bin/launch each time you want to run it).

FYI @Mathew_Mulholland, the status your are posting is used to:

Check if Makerverse is running

All it does is say that the app is not running. It’s only the first of the troubleshooting commands listed on the page I linked. The actual reasons for a failure to launch is found via the last command in the “troubleshooting” section:

See all system logs (find problems with boot): journalctl -xe

pi@makerverse:~ bin/launch -bash: bin/launch: No such file or directory pi@makerverse:~ sudo bin/launch
sudo: bin/launch: command not found

1. You need to be in the makerverse folder (cd ~/makerverse)
  2. Don’t use sudo

pi@makerverse:~ cd ~/makerverse pi@makerverse:~/makerverse bin/server
Makerverse Server will be controlled by pi
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2020-11-01 15:36:12 EST; 15min ago
Process: 4629 ExecStart=/sbin/runuser -l pi -c 80 && /home/pi/makerverse/bin/launch (code=exited, status=127)
Main PID: 4629 (code=exited, status=127)

Nov 01 15:36:12 makerverse systemd[1]: makerverse.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Nov 01 15:36:12 makerverse systemd[1]: makerverse.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Nov 01 15:36:12 makerverse systemd[1]: Stopped Makerverse Server.
Nov 01 15:36:12 makerverse systemd[1]: makerverse.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Nov 01 15:36:12 makerverse systemd[1]: makerverse.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Nov 01 15:36:12 makerverse systemd[1]: Failed to start Makerverse Server.

Check Makerverse status with ‘sudo systemctl status makerverse’
Find logs with journalctl -xe
pi@makerverse:~/makerverse $ sudo reboot
Connection to 10.0.0.161 closed by remote host.
Connection to 10.0.0.161 closed.

That looks right. The last command restarted the device, and once it comes back up Makerverse should be running on port 8000.

btw, pro tip: when you paste code without using the </> button on the forums, it removes the formatting and actually changes the text which appears on the forums, thereby making me see something different than you actually pasted.

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to make of that image… are you trying to tell me it’s still not working after the reboot? If you’re trying to paste the output of journalctl -xe, it should be about 10 pages long (probably best to save it as a text file and upload it).

That is after the reboot. Do you want all 10 pages?

logs 11-1 1640.txt (203.7 KB)

Hmm. I’m almost done flashing a new RPi with the dekstop image, and I’ll test it out myself. Thanks for the logs tho.

1 Like

I can go into the makerverse/bin/launch folder on the desktop and manually execute the launch file and it will work. That allows me to access via web browser at port 8000. But no kiosk mode

I just tested the following and it pretty much instantly fixed my Desktop install, making it run correctly on port 80.

cd ~/makerverse
sudo bin/build-service.sh install pi "export MAKERVERSE_PORT=80"

I’m also uploading a fixed version of the Raspberry Pi desktop image now.

Just to check: did you run the kiosk install command? If so, your screen should be black (no desktop) after reboot.

Also note, if you used the above command and are running on port 80 (instead of port 8000), you should also run the following so that the Kiosk knows to connect on the right port:

echo "export MAKERVERSE_PORT=80" >> ~/.bashrc 

If the kiosk is trying to use the wrong port, the screen will stay black (instead of loading Makerverse).

It may be easier to wait for the new version to upload :wink: Both of these two fixes will be in it.