Ridgid Handle Removal?

I managed to drill out the handle caps and pull them out with a screw, but what size tool do I need to remove the Ridgid handles? It looks large…

5/16" Allen key worked for me.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread…is this really the only way to remove the Ridgid handles is by drilling out the cap that hides the handle hardware? There is a small indented slot like you can place a screw driver to pop it out but I’ve had no luck so far. Handle removal is necessary with the new ring kit right?

Edit: hum, I just saw that in the sled instructions, @bar had a hard time getting them off too and ended up drilling them out. Looks like drilling it out is what I’ll have to do… But my router is all shiny and new and I don’t want to hurt it…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m on the same road as you Brutha’

But to be like the cool kids I’ll do it, dam peer pressure !

The q: is it the only way? Nope, I bet a hacksaw would work.

More than one way to skin a …

Thank you

You can get away with drilling a small hole, see here. Prying at the slot doesn’t work, the plug is too long.

5 Likes

The way @blurfl linked to is a good way. I actually skipped the drilling a hole part and just drove screws into the caps and pulled them out.

3 Likes

I tried my best to save the plugs and only used the indents to pry them out but still managed to mangle the plugs. I looked online and you can get the caps for less than a $1. So if you want new caps I would just buy them and throw the old ones away.

3 Likes

I ordered the new caps to have at the same time that I ordered several replacement orange tabs for the z-axis.

2 Likes

I have a new shiny AEG MF1400 KE that I also need to remove the Handle. But I have not find the right tool to remove it. This handle is even bigger than Ridgid

Any suggestion on what tool I need?

1 Like

Problem solved! Thanks to my wife!! that help me find the right tools. But a new problem I discover, was that the new ring-system is a bit too"close call" of the AEG. I will make a new discussion with photos on this case.

3 Likes

Yes, you will need to either use a top mount kit, get a custom ring cut, or make
your own linkages to handle the larger routers

I couldn’t get my caps off either :joy:

2 Likes

Did you see the post where someone screwed a wood screw a few threads into the plug and then used a pliers to pull them out. That is what I did and it worked great.

3 Likes

Take a small flat head screw driver, insert between the handle and cap, then lift upwards, at the same time take a hammer and lightly tap, the screw driver will bite in and you will be able to remove the cap.

1 Like

This was without question the biggest aggravation of my setup. I used a jigsaw and took it apart in sections. The plastic base appeared to be fused to the screw. It did not appear to be a reversible process at any point.

Sorry that was the z axis comment. The handles were a close second and i carefully drilled the caps and bought a new hex set large enough to spin the bolts in side.

1 Like

Did the same sans the hammer. just used a slightly smaller flathead screwdriver and forcefully made it bite into the caps. I still have both useable caps :smiley:

1 Like