I recently got my secondhand Maslow up and running. When I was running my first test cut (a sign for my nephew) the Z depth was incredibly inconsistent. It took me a bit to figure out but the base had a stripped out adjuster (part 513396001) for the slide height. I have ordered 10 to have on hand so this never happens to me again but in the meantime I tried my hand at the 3D printed option which worked fine until I actually put power to the router and the thread section of that snapped off.
While I was contemplating my options I thought that I could fairly easily replicate that part in aluminum. Tell me why this won’t work:
- get a new part
- create a silicone mold of the part
- use the silicone mold to create a wax mold of the part
- add a wax sprue and riser, toss it in a bucket of sand and lost wax cast it in aluminum
The only concern I can think of is if the z axis motor won’t fault out for high amperage if it were to bottom out either up or down and something else (and more expensive) would break instead. I am guessing that if the z axis doesn’t already have the ability to fault that it could be programmed in similar to the logic that makes the left motor stop pulling when tightening the chain when determining the motor distance between left and right when calibrating.