Router Bits and collet help

Hello all,

Been away from my Maslow CNC for some months now and getting back into the swing of things, IE: update the firmware, ground control, and buying new hardware.

When I first started using my Maslow I had a bunch of problems. Someone suggested switching to single flute bits and that has been the fix. However, I just purchased some 6mm single flute bits thinking they would work in the 1/4" collet but it won’t tighten enough.

I tried to research this and ended up more lost then when I started.

IS there a collet that will work in the Rigid router that will allow me to use these 6mm single flute bits?

Is shimming these bits a bad idea if there is no collet available?

Thanks.

I haven’t tried it, but this one should work.

3 Likes

Since we are running the routers at lowest RPM and feed rates, I’m not sure how relevant something I read with smaller/faster/more RMP cnc-machines is. I will dump it anyway.
For other than Maslow cnc’s the recommendation was to only use reducers as a temporary solution.
I guess it’s not a to big issue if all your stuff is cleaned. Still a collet

has double the slots to clamp your tool ‘straight/not out-of-balance’ than a reducer can do.
The concerns in the article addressed the longevity of the first bearing in the router from bit side.

2 Likes

be very nervous about shimming, if you are even slightly out of balance, the
high power of the router can result in a LOT of vibration and force.

in general, a 1/4" collet (6.35mm) will not clamp down to 6mm

I expect that it’s going to be more expensive to find a collet that will fit the
router and handle metric bits than it would be to just replace the bits.

David Lang

2 Likes

:heart_eyes_cat:

6mm bits are much easier to find and much cheaper then 1/4" bits.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-High-Precision-Adapter-collet-shank-CNC-router-tool-Adapters-holder-12-7mm-change-to-6/32812073581.html?spm=2114.search0104.8.85.3f351d82tkTD1z
while you are at it you might as well get a reducer to 4mm and 3.175mm as those come in handy

just get a reducer they are less then $5 direct from china and about double that on ebay

as far as shimming, I have tried and it wont’ work. I have used aluminum tape and it works for 5 minutes and then you break a bit or worse. not worth even trying. .

Crap I just bought 12 6mm bits!

$4.39 12.7mm (1/2) to 6mm and 12.7mm to 8mm Amazon