Sled weight and frame angle

I’m working on getting my Maslow back up and running after a long hiatus. I put together a meticulous z axis and am getting everything ready for holey calibration via Web control.

Is there an official ideal sled weight and frame angle? I’ve looked through these boards and see a lot of different numbers over time, but I can’t tell if a standard has emerged.

You want it to be about 15 degrees and two standard bricks, but neither of those are precision measurements. It’s pretty comfortable within a range around those.

1 Like

Thanks, bar!

I wish I would’ve asked a week ago!

1 Like

there is more to read about it here.

1 Like

Maybe I should post this in “Shop Hacks” instead, but I just stood on my scale to get a base number, and then held onto the complete sled assembly and stepped on the scale again. My wife thought I was crazy, but I know how much my sled assembly weighs to within a half pound or so.

I have my wall mount at 15 degrees because it takes up less space and that is important to me because I have a small shop. I would like to think that a larger angle would give better downforce, but frankly I just turn my speeds down a bit, and it works just fine even on really hard woods.

1 Like

When we were developing the top beam design, Bar made a mistake following my
instructions and built a frame to ~20 degrees instead of 15 degrees, and it
didn’t work because the friction was too high, so gravity would not move the
sled towards the outer bottom corners.

We had someone else try 5 degrees and that wasn’t enough downforce for the bits
he was using.

David Lang

1 Like

Thank you David for the clarification so that I don’t have to experiment.

The M4 will take care of that problem.

1 Like

Thank you David for the clarification so that I don’t have to experiment.

ohh, still experiment, I just gave you guidelines so you know what people did
before, it may be that slightly closer to vertical will work better (or may not
be)

The M4 will take care of that problem.

very much so. The fact that it can work horizontal is a huge win.

David Lang

1 Like