The Weekly Update is Posted

The weekly update is posted here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maslow4/maslow4-affordable-compact-large-format-cnc-router/posts/4003470

This week’s update has a lot of text so it’s worth reading (I hope), but it also has a video if you want to just watch that here:

Let me know if you have any questions or comments!

2 Likes

Nice video and writeup. What speeds and feeds were you using?

1 Like

Great question! That was 1800mm/min and 3mm depth of cut with a 1/8th inch router bit.

Edit: But because of accelerating into and out of all the fine details the machine was actually moving slower than that for a lot of the time

It has come to my attention that some of the pictures in the weekly updated didn’t post :slightly_frowning_face:

We are missing…

This picture showing the top of the cut with the extra frizz from the tearout:

And this picture showing the bottom edge of the cut which is much cleaner:

1 Like

That sounds around twice the feed as the original. How fast can you push it and have you tested it?

Maybe some tests of the same shape at incremental feed rates to judge when accuracy and quality start to diminish. (of course spindle speed will have to be adjusted appropriately)

1 Like

I have a couple, but you can get 1/8" straight bits (I have single flute). That would help a lot with your tear out and fuzzies in plywood.

The map looks great!!

1 Like

try using a stright bit instead of an upcut to reduce pullout (it won’t
eliminate it, but it will reduce it significantly)

David Lang

1 Like

@bar Have you tried cutting plywood with a compression bit?

For anyone that hasn’t heard of them, the tip of a compression bit has a spiral up cut while the rest of the body has a spiral down cut. That means the bottom and top surfaces both have less tear out, especially for plywood or other types of laminated materials. Katz-Moses has a nice overview video with high speed footage showing the differences.

2 Likes

Here is the file for the world map:
worldmapreverse

2 Likes

2500 is the software limit right now, but that number is kind of made up. I’m sure that it’s possible to go faster than that. This was with a 1/8th in router bit so I think it would probably break if we pushed it much faster than it was going, but with a 1/4th inch router bit quite a bit faster would be possible.

Everyone who suggested a straight bit or a compression bit, those are great ideas and would probably help quite a bit. I haven’t seen an 1/8th inch compression bit in person, but a quick search shows that they do exist :grinning:

compression bits only work if you are cutting full depth in one pass. Bar is
rather conservative in the depth of cut that he tries, so if he used a
compression bit, it would be an up-cut bit (tearing out the top) before the
upper part came into play

if you do a finishing full-depth pass, then they can be useful.

David Lang

1 Like

Good point. I’ve been able to cut 1/4" plywood full depth in one path as long as the speed is reasonable.

And here are the other photos for the update :joy: I leave for one day and everything falls apart!

3 Likes

Seriously! I swear they were there in the preview before I pressed “publish” :cry:

2 Likes

I would commonly do 3/4 ply in a single pass with the original maslow (keeping
the feed rate down and/or arranging the cut direction to be towards the motors)

but bar tends towards 0.1 or 0.2" per pass

David Lang

1 Like

I didn’t see all of the other suggestions for compressions bits on the Kickerstarter updates, I guess I need to start reading the comments there as well.

I saw you asked for recommendations on bits. https://www.cadencemfgdesign.com/shop is a small shop that makes various bits in the US. I bought some after hearing good reviews and I’ve been pleased with them. They have a 1/8" compression bit that has a shorter up cut tip vs. most others I’ve seen: https://www.cadencemfgdesign.com/product-page/mini-jenny

2 Likes

The comments are spread out in too many places right now :stuck_out_tongue: I’m going to work to bring everyone into the forums eventually, but right now I’m trying to meet everyone where they feel most comfortable commenting

1 Like

For all the compression bit fans out there here is the non-flipped world map svg file:
worldmap

1 Like

That is quite aggressive. I’ll have to try some experiments like that with some cheap bits I don’t mind breaking :slight_smile:

1 Like

The M4 is going to be my first dive into the Maslow platform. I tried to find an answer in the forums, but had no luck, so I’ll ask here:

Is there something about the function of the maslow that would indicate against using a downward spiral bit? I know that chip clearing is more of an issue, but the downward spiral will make the top a cleaner cut.