The Weekly Update is Posted

A downspiral bit wants to push the machine away from the surface that it is cutting. I’m not sure that it would be an issue, but it’s worth testing. My guess is that for smaller router bits and lower feedrates it wouldn’t be a problem, but for larger router bits and faster feedrates it might cause the sled to lift up from the work area, especially in the vertical orientation

chip clearing is the issue. If the chips build up, you can end up forcing the
router away from the workpiece (worst case) causing some positioning error.

David Lang

1 Like

Could I have the GCode you generated? I’ll try flicking it through GCodeClean to see if the travelling paths can be improved. Although I doubt that will help with vacuuming up the islands.

1 Like

@bar

Tragically, some islands were sucked up into the vacuum.

How about doing an “Islands Only” non-vacuum cut?

I’d love to see what you’ve got for Sulawesi.

1 Like

Sure! does this work?
worldmapreversed.nc (1.6 MB)

1 Like

Sulawesi made it! but our bit size did not do it justice :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

OK - So the GCode went from this:

To this:

Dropped the file size from 1.6MB to 1MB and the travelling distance from almost 21m to just over 6m.
worldmapreversed-gcc-ts.nc (1004.2 KB)

6 Likes

That is incredible!

I actually thought of you while it was running because there were so many silly moves between locations. Fantastic!

You will need to get the latest release though. I’ve fixed up a few small bugs along the way from v1.3.0

1 Like

How’s the depth passes look. Still in order?

@TimS - that was the major change for v1.3.3 - figuring out a way to group the various depths of cut. In the end your idea to just look at maximum depth of cut, and group that, was what I ended up doing. That was after trying KMeans grouping (which was overkill)

2 Likes

I’m excited to try it. And happy to have somewhat contributed. I will have to wait until after this trip to make some cuts with the new gcodeclean. Going to meet up with some Aussie Air Force tomorrow. Great people.

1 Like

It seems like you could tighten this pattern (to create less wood waste and shorten travel times between cuts by essentially reassembling Pangea.

2 Likes