Turn off probing (38.2)

I had great success with generating G code in easel and then cutting in ground control. I did have to manually edit the file though as the code had the 38.2 probe command and I don’t have that set up on my maslow. It would be nice to have a feature to ignore this G code command it someone isn’t using probing without having to edit the g code file.

1 Like

That is a great point!

Would you be willing to make an issue for it so we don’t forget?

1 Like

Done! Thank you! This would really ease use for my students as they are already familiar with easel.

2 Likes

I see it, here’s what’s going on.
Easel offers to work with three different machine configurations - X-carve, Shapoko, or Carvey. Carvey is their most ‘user-friendly’ machine, sold with much built-in automation to do configuration for the user. Part of that is the automatic z-axis zeroing. When configured for Carvey, Easel adds the G38.2 code, and it also adds other gcodes (G4, G10, G54 - dwell time, and alternate coordinate system) that aren’t (yet?) implemented by the Maslow firmware. These are associated with the automation added to make the Carvey a hands-off device.
Neither of the others (X-carve, Shapoko) add these codes, so choosing either one of those will produce an .nc file that ‘just works’ with the Maslow.

2 Likes

Great diagnosis @blurfl. That sounds like a simple fix. Probably better to leave the probe command enabled then?

1 Like

I would say ‘yes’, leave it as is. We already have a lot of user settings to remember :grin:

2 Likes

We want to support the probe command, if someone has it in the g-code and
doesn’t really want it there, we can’t know that, we have to assume that they do
want it there if it’s there.

2 Likes

Yes, please keep this. I haven’t had time to fully deal with my electronics, but I plan to implement it as well. For now, the kid’s tree house decking is the priority, but soon thereafter I am hoping to have some weekend time for the Maslow again.

2 Likes

Does that come under the heading ‘Spring nest building’? Sounds like your priorities are right!

2 Likes

With any luck, the little birds will leave the house and amuse themselves in their nest all summer long! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can’t tell from this thread, but I was under the impression from other threads that 38.2 was implemented already to support z-probe if you have aux4 hooked up. Is this true, I would definitely want to hook this up.

1 Like

It is! I believe that there is a wiki page…true?

This thread has more info:

1 Like

FYI - I’m not familiar with the X-carve but the Shapeoko now has a optional Z probe.

Thank you