Unresolved Fusion 360 Cam issue

Hi All

sadly i did not get a single reply to my last post “Fusion 360 Cam issue” ive been followinghtis video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UbAr7VcK4U on how to create the cam but when i run it it seems the z axis is not working as the bit never goes deep enough.

Is there not a single video/guide for new users to get their first cut using fusion 360?

All very difficult for people like me. Spent nearly all year on this and still not been able to cut my first project !

Thanks.

I hear what you are saying and you are far from alone. Those two issues are the main reasons I decided to stop selling kits to focus on taking everything we have learned so far and apply it to making the system better.

I am working right now on creating a CAD/CAM program which will help people get started making things much more quickly…but building a CAD/CAM program is a lot of work and there’s still a good amount to go. I am also working on a new version of the machine which will be simpler to calibrate, but that too takes time.

I have not personally used Fusion 360, but that video seems like a great place to start. I know that there are others here in the forums who use Fusion. If you have a specific question about a particular step, I think you will find that you will get good advice. Posting screen shots can be particularly helpful in getting a good response.

1 Like

I found this video very helpfull:

2 Likes

The above video is a very good guide at how to go through the Fusion 360 side of things for any CNC.

Not sure if this is a CAM issue or a hardware issue. Sounds like it could be either. Without knowing more about what’s going on it’s hard to say.

Some pointers that might get you in the right direction:

1. Make sure your material thickness is set correctly in Fusion 360. Use a pair of calipers to get the exact thickness and use that. Errors of even a half millimeter can result in the machine not cutting all the way through.

2. Make sure your bottom height is beyond the stock bottom. I generally have my default for contours set to -1 mm, as that ensures that it’s cutting all the way through the material.

1. Probably is already taken care of, but make sure your Z 0 is set at the top of the work-piece.

2. Is your router pre-loaded towards the work-piece? Typically, people use a bungee cord wrapped over the top of the router to take the slop out of the lead screw. This can make it appear as if the router is not being commanded to go deep enough when it’s actually just that the router hasn’t physically moved far enough.

3. Is the lead screw on the router base bottoming out before it reaches the bottom of the stock? I’ve had that happen to me before when I had the router bit too far into the collet and it physically couldn’t reach through the material.

3 Likes

thanks, this is a good video but having tried to follow it i have found it still to be to difficult to follow. I am actually quite advanced with tech…

Hey guys, i kept at it and found this video useful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGlLFypnzvg&t=921s

In the end i ended up cutting my first thing as attached. Although i messed up with making the tabs to small so it did not complete. You guys will remember the feeling of your first cut and its great. So thanks for all your help. Hope to be able to post this cacti project over the next week or so when its done… Cheers

2 Likes