Updates for 2022

There’s no way that should happen (from the perspective of GCodeClean, because it always creates a new file with a new filename based on the original filename). What was the name of your file that got overwritten, and I’ll see if there’s been some regression.

New GCodeClean released: v0.9.6 - Release FileNotFoundException & Tweak Tolerances · md8n/GCodeClean

FileNotFoundException is now returned as Exit code 2 (Exit code 0 means success).

The default or user supplied tolerances are now tweaked into more limited ranges of ‘sensibleness’ based on the units in use in the GCode (mm / inch)

And a little update to the README

1 Like

webcontrol now puts out an internal server error if the folder is not found and the terminal output trace gets a message that says “GcodeClean folder not found.” if it isn’t there, so it won’t run errorless to the user when it isn’t doing anything.

No need to worry. I didn’t understand how it was implemented in Orob’s WC. I thought it was self contained and tried it through the menu (I didn’t have it downloaded separately). There was no error with it and I thought the file overwritten since the date/time next to the file was changed to the time I tried it. I will download gcodeclean and see how it works through webcontrol after work sometime this week.

Did you change something or is it working for you? I must have some wonky conflicts going on or somekind of cache that’s not allowing it to work. When having two versions installed is the only folder I have to rename/isolate the .webcontrol one?

The macro buttons are fine. I changed the frontpage.html file and the post response to them in main.py and I didn’t think it made a difference, but it works with a refresh. Maybe hold shift and refresh. I’m running this on Ubuntu 20.04 I believe … whatever the latest .04 (long term release) is as of March in firefox browser. Multiple webcontrol folders will share the same .webcontrol folder and that is fine. if the webcontrol.json file is missing the settings a newer one needs, it will add them and the others won’t look for the new settings, so they won’t change them either. I have 3 or 4 instances running on the same machine for various things I was messing with and it works ok.

1 Like

Like most things I “fix” I have to break them to figure it out. This one took a while to get back on track, but it is working. Attempting to merge with the main branch broke the web page. It was several days running in circles chasing dependencies. The LED features I started with were from a much older branch and the merge was needed for lower case gcode, software z limits, radius (R) gcode and a couple other things.

0.954 is now available for testing. ( got rid of the letters and d was the letter it was on which translates to 4 pretty easily)

Done:

Remaining to do:

• zPID page functionality
  • python 3.10
  • log file overrun
  • mobile versions of pages edited

Please test out this version and let me know if there are issues. I’m not likely going to have a chunk of time to spend on it for a while, so we will need to list out the issues and verify the functionality of the things I have messed with to ensure something else didn’t break.

3 Likes

just a few minor changes…… he says. im only going to tweak a couple of things… he says.

Yeah, im not an expert by any stretch but im just going to throw this out there and say that this was a lot of work Rob. Thank you.

4 Likes

Let hope it still all works like it should. I couldn’t use my Maslow yesterday because of this software issue, but hopefully it will be useful to someone.

I’d like to get the log file fixed and the zPID working for the official pull request.

Anybody familiar with B13, B14 functions in the firmware? Is there a B15?

1 Like

new test release 0.955

the zPID menu actually sends legit Gcode to the controller, but I have not actually run it on a controller. I think this will help in diagnosing this problem → Z axis depth different between Sled and Gcode - #78 by TimS

GcodeClean menu, homing, macros, and all other typical webcontrol functions need to be tested. Since this development environment is my actual system and it is functional, I should be able to start testing this weekend as well. Let me know how it goes.

I’ll be testing this after work today. Any guideance on what to use for the settings when I go into the z axis PID. I don’t have much knowledge on this. Thanks Orob!

I don’t know what the range should be, but whatever the range is, I would make it so the steps are a reasonable number so it doesn’t take forever… like 10 steps. or increments to give 10 steps rather than 1000. I’ll see if I can try it out and get a reasonable response before you do… this is new ground for both of us, but should save us the “guess and success” method where we blindly plug in numbers.

1 Like

I downloaded WC .955 while logged on to different user profile to keep the 2 webcontrols messing with each other.

I’ve been messing with z PID positional tuning and so far nothing is changing.

I can’t get any the additional macros working, set one to M3 and the others to Z5, Z-5, and Z5. (The original ones are working, have them set as M3 and M5)

Also kicks out an error when trying to upgrade to precision firmware.

The pid may need to be fixed in firmware.

Macro z height: in order for Z5 to move, do you need a GO or G1 to go with it? For example G0 Z5

What is the firmware error? the avrdude files may not be packaged with it correctly.

prerelease 0.957 here has avrdude with webcontrol so it will program the board as it should. I programmed one to test and it worked. The log file is checked for size when webcontrol starts. If you never stop it, then you may need to be concerned about filling your file system.

Have it at G0 Z5 and one as M3 nothing happens when either button is pressed. The original macros work as M3 and M5.

I have a paper due tomorrow (back in school at 40 years old…crazy) if I get done with some time still left in the day, I will download the new version.

The macro buttons looked right but did not work. They do now. The text output of webcontrol now shows data when pressing the macro buttons:

and the controller message in the lower right of webcontrol also shows it is working:

update: prerelease 957 has this update.

1 Like

New Macros… WORK! You rock Orob!

2 Likes

Question for z PID tuning. Normal settings are p 1300, i 0, d 34.

If I go drastically low or high say 900,5,34 or 2500,5,34 should I not see my zaxis go wonky, it acts like I didn’t change a thing.

1 Like

I think there maybe some issues with gcodeclean from WC or issues with me (very likely)

I have gcodeclean saved in my (Linux) home folder and webcontrol folder. Named as GcodeClean, gcodeclean, GCodeClean. Each time I run it no file is produced. I checked the
.webcontrol/gcode folder, nothing. It freezes up WC after I run it, refresh com and screen doesn’t work, only shutting down WC and restarting it.