Weekend Cut - Home/Name Sign

Over the weekend, cut a sign for a family member. Overall, I’m really happy with the cuts and detail.

Used some scrap 3/4 MDF. Did several cuts and bit changes (though likely didn’t need to do them all). Painted yellow before the cut and then put painters tape over the paint. Started with a 1/4” end mill to clear out material. Then switched to an 1/8” ballnose to try to clean up marks from the 1/4” bit. After that, used a 1/8” 90* v bit, and finally touched up a couple lines with a 1/8” 60* v bit. Need to sand down some marks and add some detail hand painting. The tape worked well though stuck and pulled up the paint a couple times.

5 Likes

Awesome work!! Did you find a font for that or did you draw it yourself?

I used vcarve. I kinda collaged and adapted from various images. For the lettering, I took an image and traced in v carve. I had to replace the “i” with an “a”. For that, I just copied the “o”, flipped it, and elongated a corner until it looked consistent with the rest of the lettering. For the face, I traced the vectors from an image, placed it at the bottom, and snipped the vectors along the border in order to have it round at a consistent angle as the rest of the border. It took some playing with and had to add and subtracts vectors here and there (and a fair bit of clicking “undo” several times).

1 Like

Brilliant

1 Like