Z-Axis Motor Wiring

I cut the wires to give myself some extra, I wonder if you have accidentally bridged something?

Potentially, but I even went back and took all the solder off the top and cleaned it and then resoldered everything on because I was worried about that. Do you by chance know how to take the PCB off so that I could get to the back side? I wonder if solder got in there somehow.

No idea to be honest. I was lazy and didnā€™t really want to mess with the new motor so I just spliced. Sorry thatā€™s less than helpful =(

No problem, I was hoping it would be as easy as everyone else but typical my luck is just not there haha.

1 Like

anyone know what the connector is so we dontā€™ have to take apart the motor and solder it? looks like a mini Jst 6 pin?

Iā€™m pretty sure the mating connector (on the cable) is this, and these are 12" wires with the appropriate pins on the ends. Order 3 12" wires to get the needed 6 pins with wires attached. The female connector (on the motor) are similar to these.

1 Like

what is the ideal RPM for the z axis motor? Seems like the stock 12.6rpm is too slow. People have reported good things about the 45rpm and 122rpm ones, which is a big difference. Thinking of getting some directly from china. Thinking either the 55rpm one or 77rpm or 100rpm one?
Also the PPR can be set to 3, 7 or 12. What is best. I am assuming from above comments 7 correct?

1 Like

I finally have the new motor and Z axis movingā€¦ Just needs some dust collection now!

Edit: I thought I knew how to embed, I did not. Here is the link again.

2 Likes

I have this same motor and when I connect it up based on the pin out of the Maslow board the motor starts rotating before anytest are run. Of course when I run a test it fails.

Since there are no cables to buy I am having to build my own. My two chain motors control and pass the testing only the Z motor. Also if I connect one of my other motors to the Zaxis control it test and passes so I know its not the maslow board.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram they used based on the maslow controller pin out for M2 motor?

Amazon.com: CQRobot 6V, 41rpm, 22kg.cm/12V, 83rpm, 45kg.cm, Metal DC Geared Motor w/Encoder. for Projects Such as Robot, Custom Servo, Arduino and 3D Printers.: Computers & Accessories

Hereā€™s the wiring I used:
The stock motor and the PowerControl board use this order:
M+ (black), M- (red), 5V (orange or blue), ground (green), encoderA (white), encoderB (yellow).
z-motor-signals
With the non-stock motors Iā€™ve bought, the wire colors on the motors match the signal names above, itā€™s the motor connector that sorts them into a different order. These pairs need to be flipped from the connector on the motor: M+ and M- ; 5V and Gnd; EncA and EncB. Match the motor wire colors with the same colors in the stock z cable or with the picture above and the motor should turn in the same direction as the stock motor.

1 Like

So I get this error the z axis moves once and then it all stops.

and If I wire the motor just like the x and y motors it just sits and runs non stop

If I wire it based on the image you provided the Ardiuno pwr light on the maslow board shuts off and I lose com3 connection.

If I swap the green and black wires I get the error I posted.

Its weird.

The way that @blurfl has shown is correct.

Just out of curiosity are you soldering directly to the back of the motor or are you soldering the 2 wires together? I am not sure if it was my user error, the motor error or an encoder error with my first unit but it did some strange things to me. I would suggest that you talk with the seller on amazon, I asked for another to be sent to me and it was and I soldered the wires together the second time instead of trying to solder to the back of the motor and it has worked perfectly for me ever since.

1 Like

No I am soldering to the wires of the motor. LOL getting shorter. I know if I plug one of my other motors into the Zaxis they work based on the harnesses I made for them. so I wired this one exactly the same and motor just runs no stopping. rrg

Appreciate all the input completely determined to figure it out

I would say if another motor works with the harness it is not that. My guess would be the encoder/motor itself. I would suggest a new one (if you ordered from amazon, talk to the seller and ask for a new one they should send it to you). I was driving myself insane when mine wasnā€™t working and a new motor fixed everything and was totally plug and play the second time. There was so much frustration.

2 Likes