Z Axis Plunging way to deep at beginning/end of cut

@jemmer798 interesting that it is intermittent for you. Were all the files you ran unique?

Maybe share some of your .nc files that worked well and didn’t so we can compare and see if the gcode is the same/different to spot any issues?

For some reason for me the video isn’t loading :confused: I tried downloading it too and the download is getting stuck.

I did think of one more thing to try.

If you click over to the FluidNC tab on the left of the UI we can see both the z axis worth height and the machine height.

Zw: The work height, this should be the surface of the wood. You can zero it by pressing the little 0 with the line through it next to it
Zm: This should be the machine z-axis height. This will say 0 when the stepper motors are all the way down and so this number should always be equal to the distance between the top of the stepper motor and the bottom of the router clamp.

To be clear, this should be 0 when the bit is touching the wood, right?

1 Like

Yes! Exactly, that should be 0 when the bit is just barely touching the surface of the wood.

So since I posted, and after reading @dlang 's mention of the Z commands, I looked into changing the default Post Processing settings. I changed the “Safe Retract Height” from the default (G53 I believe) to Clearance Height, and haven’t had any more issues thus far (>15 cuts all unique .nc files). The .nc files also have a bit of a disclaimer about the change: (-Attention- Property Safe Retracts is set to Clearance Height. Ensure the clearance height will clear the part and or fixtures. Raise the Z-axis to a safe height before starting the program.) I don’t now if this is the answer, but it has worked for me so far.

4 Likes

That is great to hear! Thanks for the update on what fixed it so we can better help the next person who runs into that issue.

What are you making? Share pictures!

Planning to test tonight on my end as well! This feels like the correct solution but will report back.

1 Like

Great success! Feels so good finally up and running. Thanks everyone for the assistance!

The change to the fusion output settings did the job.

3 Likes

Just a few test projects to get used to the process and tolerances!

4 Likes

Beautiful! Glad to hear that worked and we found a solution! Thanks to everyone for the help too!

1 Like

Those are fantastic! Great work!!

I ran into this today. Thank you all for figuring it out!

2 Likes