Z-axis upgrade and enclosure for dust control

Also, how big is the whole thing?

Its a 4ā€™ x 8ā€™ sheet, i didnā€™t cut it.

Its 10 feet wide and 7 feet tall (thats what i remember on top of my head)

2 Likes

Yes same vacuum.

Yea maybe , This is the knock-off i used.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Cyclone-Dust-Collector-Turbo-Set-With-Flange-3rd-Generation-Turbocharged/282724212216?_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150817211623%26meid%3Dcedf4a1108514c5bbfc8bcbd52c0bd41%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D282724212216&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

Dust Deputy do make this version, but only for the 4inch hose .

I still like the dust deputy, its VERY satisfying to see the dust drop down to the bucket through the clear plastic. and you dont get to see that using the knock off version.

3 Likes

This is the one I have

1 Like

the dust deputy works very well too. It will capture 90+% of the dust. The knockoff version is a lot cheaper and the plastic is stronger .

2 Likes

I was going to get that one, But i already have the legit version of dust deputy, So i wanted to try something different

1 Like

By weight, the 2 % that passes through is half the particle count, because they are the smallest, and most hazardous for your health, a dust deputy is made for capturing the dug dust.
People saying ā€œhey, my dust deputy is working so good that there isnā€™t any left in my shopvacā€ just need better filters in their shopvac.

I have been able to get a Shop-Vac CleanStream HEPA filter for my shopvac. Does good, but not real cheap. Still I have seen them at Walmart in addition to online at Amazon.

Does anyone know where to source 3 gallon buckets with dimensions that would fit 5 gallon bucket lids? I have a cartridge HEPA filter, but dedicating 3 5 gallon buckets for my 5 gallon shopvac head, dust deputy knock off, and the HEPA filter is starting to get ridiculous. If I could replace 2 of those with 3 gallon buckets, Iā€™d cut the volume needed by a third. Unfortunately, the only 3 gallon buckets Iā€™ve seen at the big box stores are filled with $150 of deck sealant (and Iā€™m not on that project yet :wink: ). Paint stores also have not been fruitful.

Iā€™ve bought them from a local bee-keeping supplier (honey containers), my wife has bought them from a local pottery supplier, who I think gets them from restaurants.

1 Like

Thanks, Iā€™ll look to see if there are any sources nearby.

Hi, do you have any rough plans on how to build an enclosure, or where to look for an idea on how to build one?

Im still awaiting my Maslow, but dust has been a concern. My current plan was to upgrade my dust collection, though my router does have a shop vac attachment so i think it should collect most of the dust.
For that last 10% or the stuff that goes airborne i was thinking of a shower curtain setup, enclosing the area so at least its contained and then maybe some kinda filtration system involving cutting some holes, putting Hepa ventfilters and, a fan to create suction so even if its not out, its drawn somewhere.

This enclosure however looks way better as a long term investment and far better for noise.

2 Likes

A box fan and matching higher end Filtrete furnace filter (usually 20x20 in the states), a cheap filter as a pre-filter to catch the big chunks. Tape them together with duct tape on the suction side of the fan. Besides the shop we used them for years to catch the fine ash that escaped from our pellet stove before moving to an outdoor wood boiler

1 Like

I dont have anything written down. I just do all the planning in my head on this one. I can send you a ton of pictures of this tho if you want.

2 Likes

I would appreciate that.

How is the dust collection set up?
I see a bunch of hoses at the bottom. Do you have one set at the router itself, and then another set at the bottom to collect what the first doesnt get?

Also, did you need any specialized tools for the enclosure? (I.e. more than a hammer, saw, and power drill?)

How do you change out plywood sheets? does one of the sides flip open? or is there enough give to just slip it in?

This is amazing!

Post 10 has a picture of it openā€¦ pretty amazing

1 Like

@Johnny5

Would you be open to questions on the build for Made On Maslow Magazine?

Thank you

How is the dust collection set up?
Its a three stage filter , I use the 1ph harbor-fright dust collector. I will be posting picture in a little bit.
I see a bunch of hoses at the bottom. Do you have one set at the router itself, and then another set at the bottom to collect what the first doesnt get?
Just one set for collecting the dust at the source (dust collector) .
I do have a hose outside of the enclosure connected to a shopvac for vacuuming after each print.

Also, did you need any specialized tools for the enclosure? (I.e. more than a hammer, saw, and power drill?)
mostly just circular saw, chop saw and drill.

All the powercords , hoses are removable. I usually remove them and hang the sled uphigh when replacing the plywood. See picture below