Dust Collection

Just used my HarborFreight Labor Day coupon on this. Planning to build a desk for my Maslow PC with this mounted underneath.

From what I have read this is a “gem” from HF, high powered, quiet and a decent workhorse.

2 Likes

It is what is used at Maslow HQ.

2 Likes

If you find suction dies on it all of the sudden, check to see if the inlet is clogged. I was cutting some plywood and apparently was producing “strands” instead of chips and they got stuck on the inlet and all the sudden, a blockage built up and suction died. Took me a while to figure out what was going on… it does have great suction while it’s not clogged… very quiet. I use a 10 foot 4-inch hose that’s then reduced down at the router.

1 Like

Beware of electrical noise from the motor - plug it into a different circuit than the computer and route the USB cable well away from the motor and power cords. If anything odd happens with the Maslow, the first troubleshooting thing to try will be unplugging the dust collector.

3 Likes

Golly gosh darn it all! I forgot all about that coupon.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::cry:

1 Like

I whole heartedly recommend a cyclone inline before the collector.

4 Likes

Nice! I did not know that!

Thanks for the tip! I read in one of the reviews that a “helpful” modification is to remove the the grating on the inlet as it tends to catch the sawdust as you are indicating.

I wanted to buy this until I saw the price of $145, Even with a 25% coupon it’s over $100.
The maslow makes dust slowly, so a big dust collector shouldn’t be needed. I wonder if a 145cfm bathroom vent fan hooked onto a 5 gallon bucket with cyclone would work? A quiet one is only $40.

1 Like

I would go bigger, the Maslow makes a lot of fine dust and often some bigger pieces, the bigger pieces cause the clogs, takes more power to get them evacuated. I run a full size shop vac with a dust deputy, my lungs and allergies have been much better for the investment. Don’t scrimp on dust collection.

1 Like

I actually find that the Maslow makes a ton of really fine dust which is why my shop vac wasnt keeping up. Even buying a filter that was specifically for fine dust I was cleaning it out quite often. A shop vac is also quite loud in comparison.

Time will tell but I am happy with the as I can use it for my other power tools as well.

1 Like

Besides the easily plugable screen the stock filter on that HF dust blower lets a lot (cough cough wheeze) through. I added a trash can pseudo cyclone for the chunks, and replaced the bag with a finer one from the big A on mine. It’s used for a wood lathe, where it gets a fair amount of chips (which travel a different path than the hood), and nearly all the fine sanding dust.

I’m thinking of a 2HP HF, with a real cyclone (dust deputy plus?) and Wynn Engineering filter for the new winter house, don’t think I can fit a CV1800 in the smallish garage

4 Likes

Any specific recommendations for a finer bag?

That Wynn canister filter sure looks nice. I think that is the type @mooselake was referring to. Would like to know the specific one to use for the deputy plus and 2hp hf setup.

1 Like

Love this setup.

3 Likes

This is awesome… Maybe I should work towards this.

1 Like

eastcaroga on ebay makes dust deputy clones from galvanized sheet metal, I bought his small version for my shop vac ($87+$19 S/H), and it works really well, no fines are making their way into my shop vac filter. The “super dust deputy XL” costs around $289, his clone of that size costs $199+49 shipping, so you don’t save a ton, but that savings is enough to buy a couple more router bits from the maslow store.

Also, I’ve had one of the cheap Chinese plastic clones in the past, it worked until the wood chips eventually wore a hole in the plastic. Hopefully the metal will take a while longer to wear out :slight_smile:

(I’m not affiliated with him in any way other than buying one of his cyclones)

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I actually ended up deciding on the Rockler dust control kit based on some Fine Woodworking articles. If I decide too much dust is making over to the bag I will add a baffle plate a la a thien separator.

Follow up when you get it working and let us know how good it is. Pictures are always appreciated.

Is that the dust right (circley copywrong indicator)? Pretty much the same as the trash can thing but nicely packaged and with wheels for only around another $40 or so - probably spent that much in time fiddling with mine so a good trade-off.

Amazon has several retrofit dust filter bags, read the reviews and use fakespot.com to pick one. Watch to make sure it’s likely to fit on your DC outlet. Mine did, but it took some folding and clamping to get a good seal.

1 Like

You are correct, dust right branded. I planned to make the top of the can myself so I just got the nozzles. I plan to make a cart. I saw the more robust kit and with all my spare time I should have probably just bought the kit. If this turns out well at least I’ll have a project to post to the community garden.