12 ft. Top Bar, wall-mounted frame, Calibration issues

Much better

5 Likes

Question for knowledgeable FreeCAD cam users…. I can create 3D objects with shapestring text, by extruding them, but when trying to create a path/job, you can create a profile operation to cut out block lettering from wood, but dress up tags fail.

If you are confused about what I mean, think of doing the opposite of what I have shown in the previous screenshots above… how do I cut the wood out around the letter… and not have the letter fall off the cutting surface mid-job?

two common answers to this.

1. leave tabs to hold it in place
  2. leave a very thin layer of wood and then trim it off later (a flush trim bit
    in a trim router can clean up large edges really fast, lettering may be more of
    an issue)

David Lang

But… you can’t leave tabs. You can’t convert extruded shapestrings to a solid object; I believe FreeCAD is evaluating those objects as “not touching” which makes sense…. and it seems the tag dressup may be evaluating them with a similar logic.

The “thin layer” and flush trim bit seems like it may work, I can at least generate operations that appear to approach my intended final product, but that requires one or more pocket operations which is a big time sink… carving out all unneeded material in that 3D space rather than just the profile of the letters. It is a waste of the life of my bit, too.

Z issues, folks.

Seems my Z spins a bit over what “calibrated” should be. Using 1/2 in ply, on my third pass, I’m in the waste board.

RQ2.nc (6.1 KB)

I checked my object; It’s definitely 1/2 inch.

Anyone have Z settings for the Z unit that comes with the MakerMade jumpstart kit? MakerMade Jumpstart Maslow CNC Kit - MakerMade

GCODE attached above, if you wanna look.