Calibration issues - maybe frame too small

IMG_0887.HEIC (254.0 KB)

Here is my Maslow Set up. sadly Maslow needs a large space than I had first thought, so my frame is currently:

motorSep : 109.2
motor Ht : 17.13
sled weight: 26.75
angle: 65 degrees (to give me a little extra MotorHt)

This gives the following readings from the spreadsheet:
min force = 3.02
max force = 44.68
min angle = 9.48
max angle = 84.21

I have space to have a wider beam, and maybe I can remove the insulation and have the lefthand motor inset into the roof cavity to get an extra 1.5 inches of MotorHt… but that’s about all I can do to get more ideal frame dimensions.

When doing the calibration set up I ensure the 12o’clock as best I could be eye. Everything else I was careful to be as accurate as possible.

Problems:
When drawing a 1000mm square, it is 1005mm height, and 995mm wide at the top and 990 wide at the bottom.

Question (sorry it was a long time coming!)
What can I do to rectify the errors?

• tweaks to my setup? (different angles etc…)
  • larger/better frame?
  • better/more careful calibration?
  • something I’m missing?
  • or is this on average what people end up with?

thank you

Can you post a jpeg or png picture of the setup. I cant readily view .heic files

1 Like

I was able to convert the image. The distance between motors is pretty low and I recognize you don’t have much more room. You might consider decreasing the bedwidth setting by a couple of feet. It narrows up the usable space of the board (i.e., if you decrease bedwidth from 8 feet to 6 feet, then you lose a foot off each side) but it might help with the calibration. Also, you said the angle was 65 degrees and I assume that means its tilted back 25 degrees. That’s pretty laid back (stock is 15 degrees) and that might be leading to some issues as well. It’s obvious you don’t have much more room vertically… something I suffer with in my shed as well.

But with that said, sometimes running the calibration cuts a couple of times help. So try recalibrating … just hit the skip button until you get to the screen to cut the calibration pattern. Try cutting the pattern, measure, enter, and optimize to see if the results get better.

we know that 20 degrees causes problems, so 25 is a big problem.

can you move your workpiece down towards the floor? that would get you more
motor height

David Lang