15mm error while running code

If I knew for sure that it was static, I’d probably just buy an anti-static hose. I’
ll see if I can find a flexible bare wire I can use around here in the meantime.

1 Like

I am not convinced that it is static in the vac.
I have run into this issue 4 times now. It has happened on every cut that runs for longer than a few minutes. When I get up around the 20-40 minute mark it seems to happen without fail.

Here were some stats on my cuts that experienced this. All were using the same bit and cutting birch plywood with the machine in AP mode.

The first

• Made it about 45 minutes into the cut
  • Router was running at top speed
  • No dust collection hose connected.
  • It failed while the bit was raised and did no damage to the part that was being cut.

The Second

• Ran for about 35 minutes into what should have been about a 90 minute job
  • The error happened around the same time my laptop went to sleep and disconnected.
  • Router on speed 5
  • Dust collection on using a shop vac and a ~20ft hose
    The bit was cutting and taking 1/16" passes

The Third was running the same file as the second but with the already executed commands trimmed

• I started the job and immediately disconnected my laptop from the AP to see if that would trigger it.
  • Ran for about 30 minutes into what should have been about a 55 minute job
  • Router on speed 2
  • Dust collection on using a shop vac and a ~20ft hose
    The bit was cutting and taking 1/16" passes

The fourth

• Ran the same file as #3
  • Router on speed 2, but with no bit so as to not cut anything.
  • No dust collection connected or running
  • I started the job on my phone and immediately disconnected from the AP.
  • Error after <20 minutes

This suggests to me that the following might be contributing factors, but are not the whole story.

1. Dust collector static
  2. Router EMI at high speeds
  3. Router EMI under load
  4. Dust in the air around the machine building static (since #4 was not even cutting)
  5. Disconnecting from the AP or Wifi (the machine ran for a while after disconnecting without error.

It’s not something I am able to do right now, but I wonder if making up motor extension cables and longer ethernet cables would allow someone to test if it is EMI from the router causing the issue by moving the PCB to not even be on the machine.

1 Like

I was thinking this same thought

also trying to shield somehow the rj45 connnection and encoder board

1 Like

That will be tricky. those components are and will always be next to the router and each is connected on top of a piece of plastic that is pretty constantly rubbing against the router collar.

over that for me, but I have never encountered the error except when the bit is engaged in material. I have used a speed of “2” and “3” in mdf and both light passes of 3mm at 1800 feedrate and aggressive passes of up to 7mm depth too. Each has, after some amount of cutting, an error. I really can’t try for long without the vacuum on without risking some issues with my wife given we share this garage and I made a promise before I got this to keep the dust under control :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would try 3 or 4 again without disconnecting from the AP. They might complete at the lower router speed.

I was able to get the maslow to run for over 5 hours straight on a single cut yesterday with the router at speed 4.

I had dust collection running for the first hour and then realized it wasn’t doing anything for this particular 3d carve job.

1 Like

I re-ran test #4 again

Here are the stats and logs

• No Dust Collection
  • AP mode with laptop connected and set to not sleep (I watched to confirm)
  • Router on speed 2 with no bit

It ran for ~40 minutes and I have the following logs, screenshot and g-code.
Given that I don’t have the 15mm error, maybe this is a slightly different version of the same issue.
Maslow-serial 2.log (17.6 KB)

SinkLeftV1-2.nc (142.4 KB)

1 Like

Later today, I will try the same test again, but without the router on, that should help identify if it is an EMI issue from the router. Maybe some of us have nosier routers than others :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I think this is true.

You may also want to buy some ferrite beads and attach them close to router on router wire maybe also on the M4 power cable at the entry to the M4 mainboard.

1 Like

Oh, this is interesting, I had only been considering EMI coming from the router near the PCB, but my power cables were tangled together and the ferrite core was down near the plug on the router. I had not been considering EMI in the cords.

I will run the following tests next

1. Run the same test as before, but with the router off to confirm it is EMI from the router.
  2. Untangle the cords and run them to separate directions and move the ferrite to be close to the router. Test with the router on but not cutting.

Has anyone else experimented with these variables to see what kind of results it produced?

1 Like

I have had the ferrite core that came with the router up near the router and have un-zip-tied my maslow and router cords (have router going down with the vacuum hose and maslow mostly hanging off and to the right on my vertical frame) for the last 3 times I got this error.

1 Like

Ah, bummer! I am going to give this a shot anyway. More data couldn’t hurt, right?

2 Likes

right!

1 Like

Could this issue be exacerbated by the frame orientation. Mine is vertical and it appears the others with this issue are also vertical. Is anyone with a horizontal frame having this issue?

1 Like

Well, it was doing really good with the router off and almost go through the file, just about 300 lines to go before it did it

“[MSG:ERR: Motor current on Top Right axis exceeded threshold of 4000]
[MSG:INFO: Reset during file job at line: 5709]”

Maslow-serial-2.log (26.2 KB)

1 Like

Last time your failure was a disconnect error now this error. No router on. Interesting.

If threshold 4000 = 4 amps of current draw and there is additional current drawn by the other servos and ESP32, this is getting perhaps too close to our power supply limits which is 5amps.

ESP32 draws about a 1/4 amp when WIFI is active. hmmm…

I think that this is a different error. This one is triggered when there is too much tension in one of the belts to hopefully prevent it from breaking, but I don’t think this is the EMI issue with the 15mm position error.

@ronlawrence3 I just ordered a set of these that I’m going to give a go to

It’s also crossed my mind that maybe this 15mm position error thing is us shooting ourselves in the foot. We have the option to just turn that error message off if it’s not creating actual issues in the cut.

2 Likes

(added to cart :slight_smile: )

1 Like

This will definitely be true

Hopefully it ends up making a difference in practice. This is likely the simplest modification that could be made, even simpler (other than the purchase) than keeping router/board cables apart.

It’ll keep the cables themselves from contributing (or at least mitigate it), but they may already be only contributing a negligible amount. I’m voting for them to be the whole problem, but physics apparently isn’t a democracy.

1 Like

Ha ha, I ordered those same cables today.

1 Like