15mm error while running code

Potentially not, but I definitely would.

Save your yaml file from the other calibration and you can swap back and forth.

1 Like

zack rosier wrote:

do you need to recalibrate when you transition from vertical to horizontal?

If you are sure that your frame didn’t rack, then no, the dimensions are all the
same.

David Lang

I can confirm that it is possible to set up a frame vertically, start cutting, press pause, lower the frame to the ground, press play and resume cutting.

• I don’t think we changed the setting to vertical before trying this.
  • We paused the cut due to the same issue the M2 has with this bit - in vertical operation it just pushes itself out of the material so it doesn’t cut deep enough. If I had been thinking, the ‘vertical’ setting probably makes the belts tighter, so it wasn’t a proper test.

I can also say this: It’s a good idea to turn the router off while you are physically moving the frame around from vertical to horizontal in the middle of a cut. It’s also a good idea to turn the router back on before you press play again. You might get lucky and just watch it drag itself along scratching the top of the board for a few inches before you jump to turn the power back on and have it happily drop in and continue cutting. Really can’t believe the bit didn’t break.

And now I want to try it again with the vertical configuration properly set!

1 Like

My frame is horizontal (using cement anchors in the floor), and I encountered this issue as well.
I also noticed that moments prior to this error, the belts look very loose.

Today, I tried to use the maslow on hardwood… results were mediocre (trying to figure out how to compensate the drag from climb milling), but it did make the belt tension issue more pronounced - video is attached.
NOTE: this specific cut did not encounter the 15mm error, but this cut was also focused on a very small area (9in x 8in). After the cut, I jogged the maslow to the left by 10in, and it threw the 15mm error while moving.

1 Like

Hi all, I am adding to this thread regarding the concern with EMI/EMC. I was very successful running the calibration as well as a small first cut example, but when attempting a long cut sequence I had the platform dump out twice in a row due to loss of encoder signal. I then ran the sequence as a dry run and it completed all the moves no problem (graphic below). More fuel for the EMI culprit.

I’ll chat with some EE buddies this week at work and see what other options might exist as enclosing the electronics in a faraday cage defeats the wifi capability.

3 Likes

I am still having issues here, Getting really good at resetting the machine. Here is the last serial. seemingly simultaneous failure on all encoders. I have seen more that one but not like this before.
Maslow-serial-12.log (9.7 KB)

Anyone having success here?

2 Likes

I think that I just made some significant progress with this.

I’m at @AzaB2C’s house helping him prep for Open Sauce and we wanted to cut a sign that says “Open Sauce”. He’s leaving later tonight so it has to happen NOW.

Get everything set up (at the risk of scooping his post, his ladder based frame idea worked remarkably well)

Start cutting the sign and BOOM right away get the error. Don’t even make it half way through the O in “Open Sauce”

I’m like **** this didn’t used to happen…how can I fix this issue in the next hour. Then it hits me…this didn’t used to happen. Jump all the way back to firmware version 0.64 and everything cuts normally.

Does that mean that you should go back to 0.64 to fix the issue? No. 0.64 is horrible. We’ve made so many improvements since then.

What it does mean is that we (being Anna and I) need to go through and test each firmware version to figure out where the issue started appearing and then track down why. It might take us a little bit, but we’re on it!

10 Likes

Cut another and still no issues

8 Likes

This afternoon I did 10 test runs to see if I could get some more test data on the 15mm error. The test runs all used the same small test file on the same board area. a small job with some pocket shapes and a few profile cuts around a 10 x 20 cm area.
I did the first 2 testruns with the router switched off and no dust collection: these went fine.
Next I did 2 runs with the router turned on, but not cutting into the material: also fine.
Next 2 runs with the router turned off and dust collection on (standard Festool hose): also fine.
Next 2 runs with both the router and the dust collection on, still not cutting into the material: fine again.
Finally I did 2 actual runs cutting into the material (18 mm MDF) with dust collection on: both runs crashed after cutting for some 5 minutes, but not at the same point.

first fail log:

[GC:G2 G54 G17 G21 G90 G94 M5 M9 T0 F500 S0]
[MSG:WARN: Encoder read failure on Bottom Left]
[MSG:WARN: Bad connection on Bottom Left encoder, failed to read 2 times in the last second]
[MSG:INFO: Reset during file job at line: 124]
[MSG:ERR: Emergency stop. Update function not being called enough.1002ms since last call]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -16.467mm Counter: 1]
[MSG:WARN: Previous error was -16.467mm]
[MSG:ERR: Emergency stop. Update function not being called enough.1002ms since last call]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -15.943mm Counter: 2]
[MSG:WARN: Previous error was -15.943mm]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -15.935mm Counter: 3]
[MSG:WARN: Previous error was -15.935mm]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -15.935mm Counter: 4]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -15.935mm Counter: 5]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -15.927mm Counter: 6]
[MSG:WARN: Previous error was -15.927mm]
[MSG:ERR: Emergency stop! Stopping all motors]
[MSG:WARN: The machine will not respond until turned off and back on again]
[MSG:ERR: Position error > 15mm while running. E-Stop triggered.]

second fail log:

[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -18.179mm Counter: 1]
[MSG:WARN: Previous error was -18.179mm]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -18.187mm Counter: 2]
[MSG:WARN: Previous error was -18.187mm]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -18.202mm Counter: 3]
[MSG:WARN: Previous error was -18.202mm]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -18.202mm Counter: 4]
[MSG:WARN: Previous error was -18.202mm]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -18.210mm Counter: 5]
[MSG:WARN: Previous error was -18.210mm]
[GC:G1 G54 G17 G21 G90 G94 M5 M9 T0 F500 S0]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -22.394mm Counter: 1]
[MSG:WARN: Previous error was -22.394mm]
[MSG:INFO: Reset during file job at line: 160]
[MSG:ERR: Emergency stop. Update function not being called enough.1003ms since last call]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -21.894mm Counter: 2]
[MSG:WARN: Previous error was -21.894mm]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -21.886mm Counter: 3]
[MSG:WARN: Previous error was -21.886mm]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -21.886mm Counter: 4]
[MSG:WARN: Previous error was -21.886mm]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -21.879mm Counter: 5]
[MSG:WARN: Previous error was -21.879mm]
[MSG:WARN: Position error on Top Left axis exceeded 15mm while running. Error is -21.871mm Counter: 6]
[MSG:WARN: Previous error was -21.871mm]
[MSG:ERR: Emergency stop! Stopping all motors]
[MSG:WARN: The machine will not respond until turned off and back on again]
[MSG:ERR: Position error > 15mm while running. E-Stop triggered.]

Conclusions ???
The router produces more EMF when actually cutting?
Static buildup in the dust collection hose is higher when actually cutting?
Encoders are more sensitive when actually cutting?

BTW: I do have a ferrite clamp around the Maslow power cable.
BTW2: when running the non-cutting tests, I sometimes grabbed the sled with my hands to simulate cutting resistance.

1 Like

This is valuable info and more or less matches my experience. All my dry runs with or without the router and vacuum on work. Only when I’m cutting does it fail. My gut tells me it is something with the bit being engaged that is tripping this too.

That said, given what Bar found with the old firmware version working well (and recently others reporting this as well) it seems likely, to me anyway, that EMF is not the cause of this (or code has been added that makes it more sensitive to it?).

I’m probably not going to be doing much coding this weekend, as I’ve been spending time in my shop working on another project, want to get an old laptop set up to use for my Openbuilds control experiment, and have other commitments, but I was also going to start reviewing the firmware commit logs in Bar’s repo to see if I can see what might have caused this to start happening. Unlikely that I will find it but more eyes are better :smile:.

2 Likes

So… confirmed. I downgraded with the following process:

1. took down maslow from frame.
  2. Saved off my calibration numbers.
  3. uploaded 0.64 firmware, index.html.gz, and maslow.yaml (after entering my frame points)
  4. power off/on.
  5. verified Z machine zero looked reasonable (fluid tab, zm): it did NOT look right so I floored Z, powered off / on. saw that zm = 0, then moved z up and put in a bit.
  6. retract /extend / hang/ apply tension/ jog around. (see note 1 below).
  7. Tried @dlang 's manual calibration page and looked at the numbers from manual measuring vs my old calibration and decided to use dlang’s numbers (they were only a few mm off from what I had).
  8. power off / “re-hang dance”.
  9. jog around (see note 2)
  10. set workpiece home x/y
  11. loaded my laundry sign gcode
  12. set z home for job and
  13. CUT! (vacuum on, router on, bit in, LETS DO THIS!)
  14. SuCCESSSSSS! I can’t tell you how happy this makes me for two reasons:
    1. The obvious one that my wife will now be happy (after some sanding and painting and mounting :smile_cat: )
    2. It is almost certainly software (firmware), and we can figure this out!

Note 1: when jogging this time, the belts were TIGHT. I was afraid to run a job, so thought I’d either calibrate or try dlang’s calculator. Given how I remember calibration was back in this version I opted for the manual one and measured as best I could, got my numbers and proceeded.
Note 2: When jogging this time, the belts were tight but not as much and it “felt right” so I sent it. The belts felt significantly tighter (in a good way) than with current firmware, so I’m not sure what that might be other than the threshold that this firmware uses is better than what I had set

2 Likes

By the way, here are the serial logs for the whole session including the changes noted ( a lot of position error messages, but during the final run not large):

old-errors.log (53.0 KB)

1 Like

I hope your right about software being the culprit.

If it wasn’t, I was going to suggest people start letting others know what kind of bit they are using… I was wondering if there is pressure being put on the stepper motors that causes an over current…based on the up/down pulling from the bits?

I was using a 1/4" compression bit. I had the speed on “2” on the dewalt and was taking 7mm passes at 1800mm/min feedrate.

I did notice some quality issues: when Z was moving the sled relaxed and the bit wanders ever so slightly. I’ll do any future cuts without tabs or tabs only on the top of each thing so I don’t have as much to sand… or we can improve this over time I’m sure too.

1 Like

Thanks so much for running these tests and for reporting the outcome.

Did you use shielded Ethernet cables or the ones that come stock?

I wonder about this too. Then on top of that you have noise or voltage ripple on the power supply from EMF.

Does anyone know what the basis is for this error condition and specifically if ESP panic/resets would trigger it?

I used the cables that came with the kit.

I saw this going through the old release notes:

and wondered what issue @bar or others were running into that prompted the heartbeat system due to losing wifi connections…

1 Like

Unfortunately, even on 0.64 we are experiencing problems. We had one successful long cut, but then had an even worse failure where the machine panicked and started moving very quickly in a random direction.

We thought it was related to static buildup, so we added a grounding collar around the router and coiled it around the dust collection hose. This ran about 80% of the way through a job, but then went off in a random direction even faster, and actually ended up snapping the lower left belt. We’re out of commission big time and are eagerly awaiting a fix to the problem.

Here is the first failure:

maslow panic 2pm june 15 2024 (94.7 KB)

And the second:

maslow panic 5pm june 15 2024 (163.1 KB

1 Like

iirc, it was problematic because it wouldn’t tell you it disconnected, so they put something in on the UI side that would check and tell you.

1 Like