3-Way Pedal Truck Project (Stevenson Project)

I have been working on building a pedal vehicle (Roadster, Dump Truck And Pie Wagon Van combination) as my first project with the Maslow. I have struggled in getting the computer software and my Maslow to cut what I need. Mostly learning curve of machine, setting up my Maslow to be accurate (as it can be), and learning how to make the G Code.

I finally have everything working well and getting good cut results.

(First sheet of parts)

(Latest page - Pie Wagon)

(Build to date)

I am blessed to have access to a local source of “sub-standard” plywood to use for test builds ($12/sheet for 1/2" thick). Good thing, as I have burned up 5 full sheets already just tuning my Maslow in and getting the quirks worked out on the G Code side.

This is the current state (8-17-18) In the “Pie Wagon” configuration.

And in the Dump Bed Configuration.

Still a lot of work left. Currently filling holes, painting and finalizing the pedal and steering mechanism. It will probably be another week or two before I finish. I still need to build the hood and a roof for the pie wagon. Not sure if I will be using aluminum or HDPE for the hood and roof of Pie Wagon.

What do you all think (Aluminum or Plastic)?

If anyone is interested in the plans, the original version (mine has been modified a ton) is available at:

www.stevproj.com/RlngStkProjIntro.html

39 Likes

Kerf the plywood! Would be awesome to see it done that way.

And… Amazing Work!

2 Likes

Well this is neat! PotW

6 Likes

I was originally looking of doing that, but there are a number of issues that prevent me from doing that.
The quality of the plywood I have on hand is too poor (mostly seconds or reject) and the thickness of the hood is too thin (designed for sheet aluminum). It is a possibility for the roof, but the curve is more complex (both direction bends). The HPDE I am looking using is 1/32" thick and only ~$8/sheet plus shipping. Sheets come in multiple colors and it is quite flexible. Sheets are 24" x 47"

The company I am looking at for the HDPE is:
https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_sheets_rolls/hdpe_m_m_opaque/258

They have the best selection and pricing I have found so far.

I was wondering if that was the case with the roof. I don’t have much (if any) experience working with either materials, but I’d wonder if the HPDE can be deformed as you want it (bends in two directions). The metal might be able to be hammered into submission? You could always put in spars and then do a fabric top?

1 Like

The HPDE I am looking at can be rolled up and cut by hand with scissors. It is normally used for cutting boards. I will probably buy some and check out how it works, I am just now agonizing over colors.

2 Likes

Very nice!
Why not a nice fabric?

1 Like

I live in Georgia and the weather is so humid I was afraid the cloth would mold and/or deteriorate too quickly.
I have seen others that use a leather of vinyl material (like for cars), but that gets a bit pricey. I had also thought about getting some heavy canvas, but thought it better to have a hard top that was waterproof and longer lasting.

Vinyl would be very cool, but comes with a pricetag…
But the hardtop will be stunning too, without a doubt!

1 Like

Yeah, cloth will mold (north Florida here). Even vinyl will mold up if left outside, but at least it can be cleaned off easily. Go for a hardtop if you can, I just don’t know if the plastic will fold in two different directions… could you fold it in one direction and then apply a heat gun to it to “mold” it in the other?

If you want to do a lot of work, maybe you can cut narrow strips (inch wide or so) that span across from side to side along the entire top and try to edge glue them together… I don’t know that they could be perfectly straight sides (rectangles)… might have to have a bit of convex shape to the sides. If it got worked out, you could smooth it all down with a sander.

Actually, I wonder if you could do two sets of kerf cuts and make it work. One going lengthwise down the piece and another going horizontal… might be an interesting test.

1 Like

What about some oiled canvas? (I haven’t worked with it but its what immediately came to mind)

I’m also not sure how it would weather. :unamused::confused:

1 Like

HDPE can be re-molded. So using a heat gun should work in theory. However, might be difficult to get a nice even bend. Didn’t try it yet.

1 Like

you will get a wavy mess because a heat gun doesn’t heat evenly. and 1/32 hdpe is about as flimsy as a milk jug, actually worse because it has not shape to give it strength.
I would use aluminum 1mm thick will be fine or 1/8" abs

if you leave it outside a lot avoid the driect sun as thin plastic like that can warp. the dark colors will last a long time, lighter colors like white will probabaly last 2-4 years outside before they become brittle and crack.

2 Likes

i’d love to see how the pedal mechanism works, or is it fred flinstone foot operated?

1 Like

These look awesome!

1 Like

The mechanism is a push pedal design.

4 Likes

looks like its’ made for an 8 year old?
or is actually bigger than it looks in the photos for adults???
thanks for posting pics!@

About 8 yrs is a fairly good approximation. The total weight and length of legs is really the limiter. I plan to use my grand children to test and determine the “you must be shorter than this line to ride this attraction” cutting off point. I had them jump in last week and know the acceptable range, I just need to take a few measurements.

The weight limit on my modified design is currently only about 300 lbs total. This is a rating limitation on the wheels. I had to go with the cheapest price option for this first test build. They can be stiffened by adding an inner and outer piece to each. I may do it in the future.

1 Like

That was your first project with the Maslow? I can’t wait until you get ambitious!

5 Likes

Of course you would, @aluminumwelder, of course you would! :laughing:

5 Likes