3-Way Pedal Truck Project (Stevenson Project)

That sounds like a great idea! You know, it seems like fabric is under rated. Then oil it, this is linoleum. The Lin stands for the linseed oil used to solidify the fabric (so I’m told). True maker. :gear:. :bow_and_arrow:. :dart:

If you’re gonna go with the hdpe for the roof, you could add some extra ribs to the roof, otherwise i don’t think it would keep a nice curve.

Edit: almost forgot to say, WOW, I LOVE THIS, it’s the kind of stuff i bought my maslow for.

2 Likes

WOW, this is exceptional! Lovin’ it! :heart_eyes:
You’ve officially lengthened my to-do list.

1 Like

Update:

I have decided to “try” and make the Pie Wagon roof from 1/8" Luan and kerf the back side {madgrizzle - I hope you are happy :slight_smile: } using a “Vee” shaped router bit. I just need to draw it up and figure out placement for hold down screws or brads but hope to get onto this by the weekend.

I added the headlights since the last post also. They are 3" PCV pipe end caps, painted silver. I added a round wood center piece to hide the bolting that holds the lights.

FYI, the “B” in the grill stands for Baba. This is my family’s nick name for our Grandfather. I found out a few years ago (living in Dubai, UAE) that is is also the Arabic term for father. Who knew…

I have spend the past days doing filler and primer painting. I Love the wood working part, but hate the painting part.

Thank you all for your encouragement and support. For my next project I plan to build the following:

It is called the “steam roller”. It is on Instructables.

11 Likes

Aaargh, could you please stop filling up my to do list

6 Likes

9/7 Status Update

I have made a few attempts to kerf plywood to use as the roof. Unfortunately the quality of my plywood is too poor to allow for enough bending (multiple directions) that I have to use other material for it. I looked at the “flexible” plywood that is available, but it is so expensive that I opted to use other media. I ordered some (Dark Green) marine vinyl sheeting (<$15/yard 46-60" wide) and will be using this for the roof. Here are photos of the 3-way as a dump truck and as Pie Wagon status as of last night.

20180831_162339 20180831_162324
Front door hinges made from recycled coffee can (too cheap to buy hinges)
20180901_163504

Front door hinges installed

Pie Wagon door hinges installed (also made from recycled coffee can)

Pie Wagon door latch

Roof support struts installed

Dump truck mode

Dump Bed Hinge

Dump bed is removable

Front door handle in process of build.

I will be working on installing the front door handle and Pie Wagon roof this weekend. Will only have the hood to finish this project up. For this I ordered aluminum flashing that I will cut and form to fit.

13 Likes

Just Outstanding!! Keep getting Better and better.

1 Like

Thanks. Do you think the Irish is coming out of me??? I may have to get this into the Savannah Saint Oatricks Day Parade. All it is missing are a few shamrocks. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You can make the Shamrocks. Add a little Leprechaun and you’ll win the hearts of all at the parade.

2 Likes

9/10 Update

Had a productive weekend (Sadly there was No cutting with my Maslow).
Door handle installed.
Pie Wagon roof Vinyl installed.
Pie Wagon rear “connection” hinge built and installed. (used the same design as for dump truck bed hinge)
Hood aluminum cut (not yet installed as I will be making interior supports).

Here are a few photos.

20180908_090413 20180908_090430
20180908_090439
Vinyl Roof installed.

Door handle installed.

PieWagon (Complete)

Fitting Aluminum hood to frame. (Added side “trim” pieces to hide the attachment screws for the aluminum.)

I had to remove the fenders and headlights to fit and install hood.
Once I finish the hood internal supports and attached the hood skin, I plan to install two straps with buckles across hood when complete to give it an old time look.
I have some trimmings left over from the roof so I might make the hood straps from that if I can not find two matching old leather belts (my preference) in the local thrift store.
If anyone has two old matching wide width belts they want to donate, let me know.

9 Likes

Or just get a leprechaun outfit for the little person you built this for.

2 Likes

So you went for vinyl, and I must say it looks amazing.
Definitely one of the top projects ever.

2 Likes

I love the build, everything looks amazing.

Can you tell me where you sourced your wheels? I have the Stevenson Bugatti plans which I want to build using the Maslow, and I think your wheels would be a perfect fit for it.

1 Like

Thanks. I hope my updates are not boring everyone.

The Stephenson Bugatti is on my short list (just after the airplane). Yes, I actually have a list and order to the madness…

I recommend that you look to update the hardware part of their design as it was made in the late 70’s - early 80’s and things have changed since then.

I made a ton of changes to bring down the cost and make it more solid of a design (using more modern parts). I would recommend using a 4 bolt bearing instead of their method of pipe connections. I will be happy to share with you the changes I have made (off forum).

I got the wheels from McMaster-Carr for <$20/ea.

Link:

IMPORTANT: These wheels are only rated for about 70lbs/each. There are other wheels available with a higher weight carrying capability, but the price is much higher.

The 4 bolt bearings (UNF201-8) they also carry (I got mine on ebay @~$5/each):

The bearings I used I got for under $5/each on eBay, but had to buy 10 of them to get price per part down. I figured with all the Stevenson vehicles to make, that they would eventually be used.

These folks did me right (have my seal of approval for what that is worth). Good price and fast delivery.

Please post photos, etc about your build progresses so we can all see.

2 Likes

Uh, nope. I have found this thread and project very satisfying. It really makes me wish that I was a kid again. So, a big thank you for posting what you have.

3 Likes

Wow outstanding job!!! Brilliant progress log thank you for sharing​:grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

Your updates definitely are not boring.

Yes, after reading the plans, I want to upgrade the hardware, not really interested in using plumbing parts for everything. I understand his intent to make it easy to build with minimal tools, but I would like to modernize. I will get in touch with you, curious what you did change, thank you!!

And thanks for the links to McMaster, I didn’t think about using cart wheels instead of bicycle wheels, that opens up a lot of options! I am also going to order bearings from them on ebay.

Once I start the build I will post photos, still waiting on my maslow kit.

1 Like

Please do contact me when you get ready to begin your project. I would be happy to share my build experience using their patterns and the modifications I made.

I had copies (digital and paper) made of all the plans I purchased from the Stevenson Project website as soon as I got them. I spent a little bit of time yesterday working on the Bugatti scan files to clean the images up and to “separate the parts”.

I (we) will be more than happy to provide to anyone on this forum pdf copies of the original design plans (or any other of the Stevenson projects pedal vehicle plans). They will not be posted in the Garden or any other place on line, but will be sent individually as requested (*).

(*)
I do not believe that the plans for any of their pedal vehicles are in any way covered under any copyright laws any longer. The plans have all been issued as blue prints, in book form and in magazines (in years past) making them public domain in my opinion. Chilton did a book series including a number of their cars (including the 3-way truck).

I will respect and honor the family who sells these plans on their website (http://www.stevproj.com/RlngStkProjIntro.html). These plans were of their family’s making and I want to ensure that they are protected and supported (fruit of your labor type of thing). Please purchase your plans from them directly, if you wish to make any of their vehicles, then contact me and I will share what I have.

I will insist that anyone requesting digital copies of the Stevenson project pedal vehicle plans to provide me with proof that you own a copy of the plans you are asking for.

Proof can be a copy of the receipt you receive (if you order from their website), a picture of your copy of the physical plans, etc.

{Warning: Shameless business plug below}

The cleaned plan files discussed above will be used by me and my partner (www.Sreenigne.com) to perform the reverse engineering and re-designing of this vehicle (future project). The 3-way pedal truck (prototype) we have been developing with the hopes/intention of offering it locally as a DIY kit (all parts precut, hardware in bags, etc). It will never be a huge selling product due to the weight and size of all parts, but not all products need to be mass produced.

Goal:
To offer a fun STEM style DIY kit that will allow the everyday person to make heirloom quality toys with their children/grandchildren without having to have a ton of skills. The expectation is that the kit can be put together over a long weekend using simple tools (some tools to be made as part of the kit), that is can be easily customized/personalized and that it promotes “time spent together building with our hands”.

6 Likes

Have you considered offering the plans to Stevenson to include with their paper plans, perhaps with a restriction that they are only provided free to current/previous purchasers of their plans? It would get you a larger distribution than simply Maslow owners. While myriad we’re only a subset of the great CNC universe.

Stevenson doesn’t appear to have a stated build to sell policy (no commercial gain) on my brief review of their site, but if you’re planning to build and sell derivatives of their work you should inquire about the policy.

It would also save you from being the digital police, always a sticky proposition IANAL, just an old moose, etc.

I have thought about sending them the scans and probably will offer to them eventually. There is no way they can mandate what someone does with items they build using their prints. I do not think that they have that type of desire anyway. This is a family run hobby business from what I see.

I sort of figured that they would have gotten scans made if they wanted to offer them as digital copies.
It is almost impossible to enforce rules on digital prints where as hard copy prints are more difficult to copy and resell for personal gain.