3D printed anchor point

Ok matey. I’ll be printing more tomorrow and stick a photo in here then too :+1:

1 Like

Sounds like something I should send to PCBway for CNC out of Aluminium.

1 Like

thee isn’t that much force on them that aluminum is required.

David Lang

2 Likes

great job Dan!

2 Likes

What material are you printing with? I’m engineering a collapsible frame for our local theater, and these would make a nice addition, I think.

Also, I assume when I load the files in the slicer, they’re metric?

Mahalo!

2 Likes

I’m Glad you like it!

Print settings are:
0.4mm Nozzle
Elegoo PLA + (any PLA + will be fine)
Layer height 0.2mm
20% infill
5 lines thick on perimeter walls
4 base layers and 4 top layers
235 Degrees on a fast printer but 220 would be fine on most printers.

I’ve printed them all the same but if you were unsure of the pin strength (though they’re really strong) you could do the pin separate with 100% infill or even print it horizontal so layer adhesion isn’t an issue.

I’ve also just started one now, in an hour when its done i’ll post a photo of the final product.

and yes everything is in ‘mm’

1 Like

Mahalo!

I don’t have PLA+, but I do have PETG…and I have a spanking new Prusa XL 5-tool, so I can do support with PLA (which doesn’t stick too well to PETG). Do you think PETG would be sufficient?

2 Likes

I’ve never worked with PETG so i honestly couldn’t tell you… I suppose the only way to know it to test it :smiley: If you want to test the strength ill quickly design you something to print that could go round the pin in the middle and have a hole at the other end so you could attach something to it and give it a test? i did this with a strap and lifted myself up from the truss :smiley: very scientific :smiley:

1 Like

Feed the pin through the smaller hole and use the bigger hole to attach a weight to test it with. the testing end is 16mm thick so its the same width as the belt end that comes with the Maslow so the stress on the pin should be distributed the same as it would when using the Maslow.

Pin Tester.stl (199.5 KB)

1 Like

I printed it in pla at 0.2mm layer height. I set the supports at 0.28 mm top and bottom gaps. I will strength test it when get aa chance but looks good and strong. I can’t imagine that the load will be too extreme.

3 Likes

Nice one!! First time I’ve seen one outside of my place :smiley: never tried with standard PLA but if its anything at all like PLA + i think it’ll be just fine! i forgot to mention about supports. i was gonna suggest for people to support angles over 85 degrees or it sometimes tries to support the threaded parts and it doesn’t need it!

1 Like

That is exactly what the bambu slicer did. Supports in the top thread, which was a little bit of a fiddle to get out. Five walls on all of it and it was about 1 hr. Seems like a genius idea to me for those that can get them printed.

3 Likes

I use a Qidi x plus 3. Not sure if bambu slicer has it but there’s a paint on support option in the advenced settings that allows you to draw exactly what parts to support. I ALWAYS use that. They always really over do the supports dont they. Please let me know if it’s strong enough when you test it :ok_hand::ok_hand: try your best to snap it :joy: I did.

2 Likes

I tried one using Prusaslicer, in PETG with PLA supports. Didn’t specify a smooth support interface at the top so the inside top was a little rough, and it out supports in the threads, which was a PITA. Trying again right now having painted support blockers on the threads and changed the support interface style. Should be done by the time I get back from the dentist, and I’ll post a pic.

Just learning my way around my Prusa XL 5-tool, but I can see already how productive I’ll be.

2 Likes

Here’s a set of four printed in PETG on a Prusa XL 5-tool. Did a not-quite-perfect job of painting support blockers on the threads (close enough, though) and used PLA for support, with a smooth interface at the top. Came out BEAUTIFUL!

Now to wait for 1) the arrival of my Maslow 4 (is shipped) AND 2) time in my day to assemble a frame.

3 Likes

Unfortunately the picture hasn’t loaded :sob: glad you got them printed and you’re happy with them though :grin::grin::grin::ok_hand:

3 Likes

Fixed it…stupid phone. :rofl::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

:joy: stupid phone :joy:
They look spot on!! Have you done a little strength test at all with them? Wondering how they are in different materials.

2 Likes

My little 670 square foot (62-1/2 square meters) condo is not conducive, alas; nowhere to mount one. But I can’t imagine they aren’t strong enough for purpose.

1 Like

PETG is alleged to be a bit tougher than plain PLA, but still about as easy to print. I know it’s a bit less sensitive to heat; I made some PLA keychain fobs a few years ago, and they tended to soften and deform if left in the car. :rofl::joy::rofl:

2 Likes