A jam burnt the motor driver board?

That’s a great idea and seems like it would work great for the top feed machines. Could this be rotated 90° counter clockwise to accommodate the bottom feeders?

1 Like

@dlang, I agree the good fix would be to upgrade the motor controllers to 5A, but also think we should implement the jam detection in software to cancel operation if motor is jammed.

1 Like

Yes, and mirrored for the right motor. I think there is a sketchup file of the current mount. I will see if I can get that into Fusion360 and the “preventers” using it. Hopefully it will fit in my 3D printer. I can also extend out the solid part to function as a “last point” chain guide as well.

Could the piece be made with combs to lift the chain link away from the teeth?

I’m not sure what you mean. The idea is that the solid protrusion would prevent the chain from wrapping. Is there something else you are asking about? Are you possibly referring to what can happen during calibration where the first link “sticks” to the sprocket? I intend to make the tolerance tighter and I would think it might end up lifting the chain off in that circumstance/

That’s it. Forgive the crude sketch:

Yeah, I think I can pretty close to the tooth and curve the geometry out so it would tend to lift the first link off smoothly. Will see.

1 Like

Here’s a prototype. Unfortunately, as I mentioned elsewhere, Visio to Fusion360 results in a 72/96 dpi issue, so the part is 75% too small. I’m trying to printing a new one at the right scale.

Edit: sorry… forgot the attachment.

6 Likes

Did the file upload?

Another thought - in a different thread there is a discussion of manually measuring the distance between motors. Is there a way to work an edge to hold a tape measure end into this design? If it aligned with the center of the motor shaft…

Oops, now the picture has uploaded, and you’re way ahead of me!

2 Likes

yep, that was one of my first thoughts. see the little slit. the right side, hopefully, lines up with the center of the shaft. The problem with 3D printing is shrinkage. I’m using a 7% increase in scale to account for it (worked for my camera mount). Might be a bit of a trial and error process to nail the scale.

There’s a very slight wiggle in the protrusion I printed if you really pull on it… probably less than 1mm. Will see what the larger part does. I’ll definitely be tweaking the design a bunch so I can always add more reinforcement to it.

2 Likes

So to just be clear, this is only for bottom loading chain configuration right?

Not sure I follow… what ‘this’ is this? :slightly_smiling_face:

Your crude sketch for a guard.

Sorry, you’re right (I think), this gizmo would only be useful in the ‘sled connects over the top of the sprocket’ configuration. Baby steps…

Would you be averse to me using your design to make a set out of something that could be milled? I have a shapeoko 2 to build at some point and your design should be right up it’s alley.

Might even be able to use the Maslow once it is dialed in.

1 Like

This is for over the top design (that’s how I’m setup). Once I get it figured out, I’ll do the bottom design

2 Likes

Go for it. I’ll try to export the file from fusion 360.

2 Likes

I wish that fusion and inventor files played nice in each other’s platforms

1 Like

Precision 3D printing is not for the faint of heart. The 7% scale up resulted in an oversized piece. I took a few measurements to try to find a happy medium and scaled it down to 96.1425%. Hopefully this one will come out better. I also added some chunks around the protrusion for reinforcement (and to use as a chain guide on the back side). Also, I’m pretty sure we will need slightly longer screws

2 Likes

Round three came out much better, but the slot for the tape measure was a little off. I wasn’t surprised as I referenced it off a photo and not a measurement. I’ll be able to move the slot fairly easily.

4 Likes