"Amazing" it is not - A stool

Made what seems to be a common rookie mistake with Maslow on my first attempted project, and printed something with incorrect dimensions due to the DXF to SVG conversion process. Tried to ‘eyeball’ it, but wasn’t successful (a ‘measure’ tool in GC wouldn’t go amiss here?).

A little jigsawing and some wood screws, and I managed to salvage it into something useful.

Now I can return the chair I had borrowed from the house and sit on this instead!

9 Likes

…and now that I have been sitting on it for a bit, learning how to do some simple upholstering is high on the list now as well! :grinning::weary:

9 Likes

Good foam, bigger fabric than you expect to pull to the bottom, staple gun, and scissors or blade. There you go!

4 Likes

Why is there a guessing game in the DXF to SVG conversion process? If we’re trying to get < 1/8" accuracy, shouldn’t we be able to go straight from DXF to G-Code? Why the intermediate SVG step?

it all depends on the tools you are using.

producing something with a CNC machine (including CNC routers, 3D printing,
laser cutters, etc) involves 3 steps

1. CAD (Computer Aided Drafting)

This is making a digital model of what you are creating

This can be DXF, SVG, or many other formats

2. CAM (Computer Aided Manufacturing or something similar)

This step takes the model that you have and creates the g-code that will
    manufacture the part.

This is the step that need to know about your machine, are you a 3D printer
    extruding material (if so, what extruder, temp settings, filiment retration, etc
    settings do you need), a CNC router cutting away material (if so, what size bit,
    feed rate, etc do you need, do you have coolent, etc), A laser cutter (what
    laser intensity and speeds do you need), or other types of machine specific
    details.

Different tools accept different inputs, and not all machines understand the
    same g-code commands.

3. actually creating the part.

This accepts g-code and moves the machine to follow the instructions defined
    in step 2.

At this point, the system is pretty dumb, it doesn’t know what it’s doing,
    it’s just following directions.

You don’t have to go from DXF to SVG if you have a CAM tool that can produce
g-code from DXF. Fusion360 is a CAD program that is also a CAM tool and can
produce g-code directly.

For that matter, if you are doing fairly simple things, it’s possible to create
the g-code by hand.

David Lang

2 Likes

This is a problem mainly via using the MakerCAM workflow sketched out here:

Where you need to convert from DXF to SVG, and in the process, lose the scaling. This is not really a recommended workflow for cutting something like furniture, where dimensions are critical.

I’m currently using Fusion360, which allows direct import of DXF and creation of g-code, as @dlang points out is a better way to go.

Also, I blinged-out my stool with some holographic faux leather, and in the process learned that upholstering round things is difficult. So much to learn, so little time :smile:

5 Likes