Another Maslowian coming to the block

After some searching, I fixed my z axis issue. With -16 z axis pitch setting. Just set up a pulley system due to chain wrap during a dry run of the holey config. Did another dry and the get alot of vibration moving high and low into the corners, any fix for this. I’m running a 10 ft beam.

Thanks

-Tim

1 Like

When I upgrade to a 12 ft top beam will it work with the original length chains or do I need to buy longer ones? Thanks

-Tim

It depends on how long your original chains are, but you can test reasonably easily by sending the machine to the bottom left corner and checking to see how much chain is still available. I think with most kits you will need longer chains.

First cut into some painted scrap wood. Not to shabby.

-Tim

2 Likes

Not too shabby at all!

Yeah, thx for all the help guys

2 Likes

My old windows 10 laptop gets bogged down easy so I decided to try Linux. I have it downloaded, although it didn’t work with my Firefox (is there a version that does work), it does with chromium. Is there a easy way to find what port to connect to? listed over 30.

-Tim

webcontrol runs on port 5000

Sorry meant the USB port

ttyACM0 or ttyUSB0

1 Like

I’m back at it again. I tried every port listed, nothing works. There is no ttyUSB0 or anyother “USB” listed, just the type shown in the pic. My wireless mouse works fine. I’m lost, tried googling it. Need help

-Tim

Update I think it may be that the Arduino needs the ttyUSB* type port, which I don’t know how to change/create. It is recognize with plugged in.

I have know idea how I fixed it but.

Im connected!

2 Likes

Doing a pretty long test cut. Noticing the gcode z axis is .17 off compared to sled z axis. I also have some slight stair stepping after the z raises and lowers within the same pocket. Any ideas.

This is when it lifts up it isn’t coming back to the exact same depth?

What type of z-axis setup are you using? If you move the z-axis using the jog buttons do you see it come back to the same spot consistently?

I might of figured it out. I noticed my set screws on the z axis loosened up on another cut, so maybe it was slipping in that section. Earlier, I had to shim up the z axis shaft because it was quite a bit smaller than the pulley hole. The set screws are off center so they don’t do a good job of keeping the pulley centered on the shaft.

I did find it interesting that the z axis measurement for the sled didn’t match the gcode in webcontrol as it was running. Off by .17 or so. Don’t know if that is normal or not.

-Tim

That seems like a good guess to me. My bet is that’s what was going on.

I ordered the wire harness for the z axis autozero, the relay for the router power and am going to wire up an e-stop.

Does the relay or Arduino need a fan? Can you use the Arduino to power the fan or do you need another power source? I did see some 5v fans on Amazon.

-Tim

1 Like

a fan on the motor control board would not hurt depending on the environment in which you run it. Particularly for the first gen shields, with only 2 heat sinks, a fan was needed at certain times, but you may not need one, long term durability says it certainly wouldn’t hurt. Your fan can run on 12 V that runs the motors.

Are you saying that the actual Z-axis movement you are getting doesn’t match what the g-code is commanding?

Yeah. While cutting using webcontrol the output for the sled location doesn’t match the gcode for z axis.

I did find out that my z axis pitch setting wasn’t set right, but i don’t think that would matter as the webcontrol would just think I’m cutting at that depth based on gcode and move the z axis based on pitch to get to the gcode requirement.

Next week when I get back home I can take a picture of what I mean with webcontrol running.

-Tim