Any tips on calibrating the linkage kit?

The calibration process is pretty well documented as you go through it. The linkage kit is “triangular kinematics” so when you see the option of selecting the type (quadrilateral or triangular), select triangular. Let us know if there is something specific you run into a problem with, but I’d say just do what the automatic calibration routine tells you to do.

1 Like

The picture needs to updated in the last step of the calibration page after selecting “triangular kinematics”, its still showing the quadrilateral style. Also it would be nice to tell the users the final cutout distance is 1905mm in the description.

2 Likes

So i finally have a chance to measure the distance between the the motors.

Using the chain, it measured at about 2858mm (I have done it three times)
But when i measure it with my measuring tape, its about 2917mm.

should i trust the chain measurement or my harbor freight measuring tape?

Also, after changing the motor spacing variable, do i have to reprint the marks and recalculate the triangular kinematics rotation radius?

with the motor spacing of 2858mm, the rotation radius is currently set to 241.4 and its pretty off from the recommended value of 260.

Thanks

That’s a very large difference between measurements! Is something flexing when the chain pulls tight to make the measurement? While the chain is tight, take a measurement with the tape as well, to double-check. This is one of the crucial measurements, and a common source of issues. Taking time on it will pay off.

1 Like

I never thought of taking a measurement when pulling the chain tight! good thinking, I will do that tonight.

1 Like

oh man… Seriously. I feel really dumb, the problem i had was incorrectly converting inches into mm. the actual measurement is about 2858mm.

maybe i should just invest in a mm measuring tape.!

Thank you for all the help!

4 Likes

@Johnny5

You are my Hero. I appreciate your honesty. Many people will keep quite. I personally like to laugh at myself - TMI. Really it happens. I once killed a highy collectable peice of electronics arte fixing it. It was a Printer that used a string to pull a thermal head back and forth. The string had come off a spindle. It was sold as “working” it was not. Now it was! I tested it and with power still on, I dropped a washer on the mainboard releasing a puff of magic blue smoke. It was broken for good then. Your issue was easy to solve at least. Keep up the good work.

Thank you

3 Likes

Been there, done that :blush: :smile: FWIW, a tape measure or yardstick with both systems does come in pretty handy…
Glad you’ve solved this one!

1 Like

NASA did the same thing on a Mars mission, your mistake is a lot easier to
recover from :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Russians had a computer logic system to counter binary called Trinary, a 3 state logic system. They discontinued use of it in their space program when they shot a object into space and because of the logical mistake the space craft pointed it’s antenna 180 degrees into deep space never to be heard from again.

Thank you

3 Likes

Well. im glad that im not the only one make silly mistakes :slight_smile:

I have finally got the it calibrated pretty good. I have attached a sharpie to the router and have it draw 6" squares in various places. All looks very good!

Next project is dust control, My wife has been complaining about dust since the day i got this Maslow!

4 Likes

Then NASA’s engineers suck, they should have learned from the mistakes when they made the ISS.
They had massive amounts of issues to connect NASA’s Imperial docking systems to Russian and European Metric docking systems.

And if they now loose a screw in space then they need to call to earth to ask a bureaucrat what type of screw they need to replace it… Thats one very expensive way to create dangerous bullshit. :smiley:

2 Likes

Please send them this link -

lol

2 Likes

I worked at the JSC in the early 70s, as a systems programmer on big Univac mainframes. That was the cost plus days, an incentive to be as inefficient as possible, my department grew from 5 to 85 people while I was there. Incredible number of non-technical bureaucrats, as the smart-ass know it all punk kid I didn’t fit in. They did pay for 3 years of night school to finish my BSEE, left as soon as I got it.

Gotta admire the astronauts, riding Saturn Vs with millions of parts all built by the lowest bidder

2 Likes

That was down the street from me. They have torn down the old Rocketdyne site for coming soon apartments. While moving to a new site I saw the original forms for the engine nozzles laying in the weeds. The Saturn V was a pretty awesome vehicle.

Thank you

I’m trying to get our machine dialed in, as accurately as possible – Triangular kinematics – We ran the auto calibration routine, and got the 2 little vertical lines the correct distance apart – Then we routed a 10" x 10" square near the center of a 4x8 sheet – It came out square, but 10-1/16" wide x 9-7/8" tall – Then we lowered the advanced setting for the distance between the motors by 4mm, and got the width down to 10" – What should we change to make the height of the square correct?

Which firmware/GC version are you using?

1 Like

Version 1.0 for both firmware & GC

1 Like

Darn, I was really hoping for something earlier because then it would be an easy fix.

I would recommend playing around with the simulator (Actions -> Advanced -> Simulation) as a way to get an intuition about how changing different machine dimensions will affect the resulting cut.

Do you feel good about the placement of the mounting holes for the linkage kit? That is the one factor which is not accounted for in the simulator.

sanity check the motor distance measurement, and watch to see if the frame flexes as you pull the chains tight.

With the triangular kinematics, there are only three variables

1. the distance between the motors
  2. the distance from the top of the work area to the motors (which will only generate a vertical offset if you get it wrong)
  3. the rotation radius (length to add to the chain to get to the bit)

which linkage kit are you using, and what is the rotation radius value that you came up with?

2 Likes