Arduino and firmware

Ok ive looked at pretty much every other thread about this and I still dont get it. I followed the guide steps, unzipped the firmware package ect ect, and now im sitting here at the actual upload part. I picked my board from the tools section, I picked my port (this is confusing the hell outta me) I have COM 1 then I have COM 4 which is actually labeled as “COM4 arduino/genuino mega 2560” using either port spits out errors COM 1 spits out timeout errors and gives no board info, COM 4 spits out ALOT of errors

This error to be exact
Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows Store 1.8.21.0) (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

Sketch uses 56864 bytes (22%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 2009 bytes (24%) of dynamic memory, leaving 6183 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “\.\COM4”: Access is denied.

avrdude: ser_drain(): read error: The handle is invalid.

avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port
avrdude: ser_recv(): read error: The handle is invalid.

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
the selected serial port avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
does not exist or your board is not connected

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Ive been banging my head against this for a little over 5 hours now and have tried several of the suggestions posted in other threads. Trying the blink upload fails as well.

Every time I unplug it it adds another COM 4…and if I select 1 it picks them all…I dunno

1 Like

The error is saying yu don’t have access to the port. There are 2 possible reasons, 1 you have something else opened usng the port. Maybe Ground Control or another program that is taking possession of the port. Only one conversation per port.

The other possibility is your user has limed rights and can’t open the port.

Try rebooting and starting aging with only the Arduino IDE open.

What version of Firmware are you trying to upload?

Thank you

I was trying to use the 1.26 version, and I havent even gotten to the ground control step yet. However I think I may have gotten it to work using 1.25. It didnt spit out any errors when I used the 1.25 firmware. So ive gone ahead and gotten ground control and hooked up the motors, clicking on one of the arrows made a motor fire up. It wont let me do anything else till I do the chain calibration and whatnot, but I still need to put the first sled together so thats going to have to wait until tomorrow.

I dont understand why it didnt work with the latest firmware, but then again I dont understand any of what I was doing in the first place. I simply follow the step by step directions, which imo need to be updated desperately (couldnt find anything on how to mount the motors/setup the chains/bungie.) the guide went from programming to making the sled and cutting away. Ive still got the z axis stuff to figure out as well once I get the sled made. This is all very new to me, ive never worked with a cnc machine and Ive never touched an arduino.