Installing Firmware, Tools menu not showing

Whenever I open the firmware, the Arduino starts. However, there is no tools menu for me to install the board (if I am saying that correctly). I am a total newbie at this. Here is a picture.

It lookes like mac, so i installed it on the mac mini to find out.
Mac likes to ‘hide’ the menu away from the window at the top of the screen.

1 Like

Oh, and welcome to the Forum!

1 Like

Thank you so much! I thought it would take days or weeks to get a response. I am trying to set this up, get a little practice, and help my STEM students begin using it. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the quick reply.

1 Like

Thank you for the help. Not sure if the last message got to you, but I appreciate it very much. Ran into another issue. Here is the error message I got when trying to install the program into the arduino.

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: “Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

Sketch uses 57300 bytes (22%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 2009 bytes (24%) of dynamic memory, leaving 6183 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “/dev/cu.usbmodem143101”: Resource busy
ioctl(“TIOCMGET”): Inappropriate ioctl for device
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: Bad file descriptor
avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
the selected serial port avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
does not exist or your board is not connected

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Don’t even know what language this is in.

Make sure you select the correct device to program. it looks like you either have the wrong one selected or the correct device is opened with another program, so it cannot open the port.

Make sure have the port to upload check-marked.

Also, can you confirm you have the Arduino Mega? Ther are seller also selling the Arduino DUE and the Firmware for the different boards are not exchangeable.

1 Like

It is the Mega (took me a second to figure that out. However, I reattempted uploading the program and I think it work. I kept getting a timed out message, but the final reading said upload done. Now I am running into another problem. When I run ground control I get another message. Its says connected, then seconds later connection lost. This pattern simply repeats. Any idea what to do?

1 Like

All recommendation leans toward WebControl, however this error seem related to something else.
Do you have the Arduiono IDE closed when you start GC? How long is the USB cable?
To check if the firmware uploaded correctly, click on the serial monitor ( magnifying glass) and see if you get something like this:

When I click on the serial monitor I have a completely blank page. I even made sure that I entered 57600 baud (there were several available), and no line edit.

USB is probably 12-15 feet. I have tried to open GC when the Arduino program on my computer is open and when it is closed. Same result.

Not a good sign. Does the Arduino IDE say ->Done uploding<- or give errors?

Before it did have several messages in red, but would say Done uploading eventually. I just try to run the install program again, and the error message is below.

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: “Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

Sketch uses 57300 bytes (22%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 2009 bytes (24%) of dynamic memory, leaving 6183 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “/dev/cu.usbmodem143101”: Resource busy
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
the selected serial port avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
does not exist or your board is not connected

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Make sure only one program is open. We need to go back to the arduino ide and make sure the firmware is uploaded and shows the position reports like in the picture above in the serial monitor.
Not sure if there is something here to find. arduino uno - Inappropriate ioctl for device - Arduino Stack Exchange

On linux there where issues adding the user to the dialout group and mac is close, permission could or not be an issue. Focus on getting the position reports in the IDE after uploading the firmware.

Edit: a picture of your arduino might help.