Auto-power switch for router?

That fixed it, thanks again!

3 Likes

I bought some Arduino extension cables off of eBay thinking that I could use them to connect to the driver board. The cables do fit the Arduino pins but unfortunately, they are too loose to fit into the driver board.

I am wondering what others are using to connect to the driver board? I am hoping that I don’t have to solder to the board if at all possible.

Thanks

I suggest using a dot of hot glue to keep them in place. If you hot glue and need to remove them you use a heat gun to melt the glue first.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you

Thanks, @Bee but I am wondering what you put in the driver board? I ordered a 2.54 mm header pins from eBay but they also are too loose to stay in.

Those must be soldered in. There is a company that makes No Solder “JAM” pins but I think they are specific configurations. Are you shy about soldering? I or someone close by you here can help. Where are you located? City, State?

Please let me know

Thank you

1 Like

I have no problem soldering I was hoping that I could just push something into the holes and be done.

Thanks for the information.

2 Likes

They are really designed to be soldered into. The holes are slightly offset from each other which will make pins inserted stay in place somewhat, but that is really meant to just hold the pins in while you solder them.

1 Like

Would anyone mind summarising this post please?

I am new to Maslow, all built and awaiting my Z axis & linkage kits.

Would like to rig mine up to start/stop via Ground control.

Thanks

1 Like

So I have a PowerTail… do I just use Aux 1 Signal and Ground and do they plug into the positive and ground on the PowerTail. There is a Positive Negative and Ground connection on the power tail for the signal.

You can use either ‘+ and ground’ or ‘- and ground’. There is a ‘Spindle Automation’ setting under ‘Advanced Settings’ to choose ‘Relay_High’ or ‘Relay_Low’. You’ll want to test your gear for which maps to which.

2 Likes

Thanks… I hooked the 5v to the positive, signal to the negative, and ground to ground… it works flawless. Thanks… I just didn’t want to blow anything up so thought I would ask here first.

1 Like

A PowerTail (PowerSwitchTail) looks like a decent device at a reasonable price if you don’t want to DIY one from a cheap SSR (and it’s got a $20USD kit.

I couldn’t find mention of a warranty, and since they disclaim all responsibility for it’s use it’s unlikely that it’s UL (or similar) listed/approved. The lack of approval means your insurance company may disclaim all knowledge of your existence in the event of a fire they can even tenuously connect to the device. Same applies to a home built collection of parts including Mathais Wandel’s fire starter, er water heater timer .

The kit shows all the parts so it’s a mechanical relay rather than an ssr. Nothing wrong with that, but 15A is close to the router’s draw, and probably below it’s startup inrush… It probably won’t fail as spectacularly as the above heater time optimization device but dead’s dead.

And a reminder, if you do decide to do an DIY SSR or relay switch if you use an oriental import get one that’s rated for lots more than the router draw, pay a bit extra for one of those heatsinks, and remember the no unattended operation rule. See the above video :slight_smile:

Update, the powertail II (at least the kit) has a 40A UL listed relay according to the datasheet , so it meets both overrated and UL approved. That doesn’t necessarily mean the complete device meets UL approval (likely doesn’t, the testing is expensive) but it’s one less worry.

Fellow AvErs will note the circuit board doesn’t have any isolation slots. That’s a little odd, since even the couple buck eBay relays in my parts box do, and (ianal or UL employee) likely prevents approval. The slots are to keep the mains voltage away from the control low voltage (for non-AvErs), giggle isolation slots if you want to learn more

Hi Everyone,

Im new to Maslow and just started my first project and this was one of my questions, i though of a simple solution but I’m still new to the g code:

i was thinking of putting a simple push switch at the top of the router travel, this would control a simple relay on the router 120v router and give power as soon as the the router starts to plunge, then when the cut is completed a Gcode would be needed that would make the router lift all up to contact the switch and cut off the power.

As for the vacuum I’m already using an iVAC switch which is just another independent switch that turns on the vacuum when it senses the router is powered on.

Im still new to Gcode but from what I’ve read a code could be added to the end telling the z axis to rise to 1.5 inches ( or the top of the travel), and then the limit switch would cut the power and voila.

hopefully im not to gullible to think its that simple.

Welcome to the Forum.!
As far as i remember GroundControl supports g-code ‘M commands (on/off)’ you can use for a relay.
I’ll search what pin on the Arduino it is. It’s all above in the post.
I hope you are not planing to leave your Maslow alone…

Hi thank you. No not planing to leave alone but I’m hopping to have it turn off and on automatically as to reduce noise and run time, on my first project I found it would lift the sled as more pieces were cut and it catches on the lip. Trying to stop and redirect seem like it could lead to an accident. As I get better I’ll make a new sled with a couple add ons

Hi I agree a summary would help every new member as trying to go through nearly 2 years of posts is very difficult. I will update something if there is nothing already when i find out how

Hi, could you please specify what post covers this as I’m not only one who can’t find the reccomended solution.

Thanks

Hi @Commissionit, check posts 16 and 94. There is a lot of great information in these forums, and I know it can be overwhelming to try to look through multiple years of posts. Fortunately, the search function in the forum is not completely useless, though I often find that using a Google site search can yield better results.

And, while we are all happy to help out, when we are asked to provide specific posts, I think that most of us (certainly myself) have to go through the same searching that you do to find things. Those of us who have been on the forums a while have an advantage in that we can recognize topics that may be more relevant and go to those, but that having been said, I would also like to encourage any new Maslow builders to spend as much time searching through the forums as possible to find your own answers. There are so many different ways to accomplish all the various tasks that go into making and using the Maslow, and your specific use case may be different from the person who posted before you. Also, the background behind answers can be as important as the single post that answers your question.

In this particular instance, this thread has ~150 posts in it, which really isn’t that much to skim through, especially when compared to threads like the stock frame design that have nearly 1000 posts that are chock full of information.

As for summaries, there are some around, and I think are mainly located on the Wiki. I tend to search the forums for my answers, and will continue to post links to threads when I can to help people out.

Happy building!

3 Likes

Thanks for the help Keith, it’s appreciated.

1 Like