Belt getting stuck issue and solution

From a new user perspective, this is what happened:

Put my Maslow together, super proud, awesome machine. Plugging it in, lights come on, connect it to wifi. Super proud; time to show this build to friends and family. But of course, the belts are dangling out at different lengths. I want it to look neat. So I hit the retract button. Some move some a bit, some a bit more. Hit it again, some movement, And again. And again………red light comes on. Everything stuck. Postponing the show-off.

I took the machine apart and it would appear that there is just not enough room to spool up all the belt. Well maybe just but you are at risk of wedging the belt between spool and gear axle. And then what happens is: Machine thinks that the belt is retracted (because of resistance) User thinks differently (because of what he sees). User hits the retract button once more, machine gives it another try. Belt now gets really stuck.

I shortened the each of the belts by 35cm to make sure the end will touch the machine (and it will stop) before it gets stuck between the spool and axle.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the belt shouldn’t be there at all. It should leave the spool before the gears.

Screenshot_20240324_140404
Screenshot_20240324_140343

1 Like

I see what you mean. The image is from when the casing was opened again. the belt was routed the way it should be. It leaves the spool before the gears. It also passes the gear axle of course, getting closer and closer with the spool diameter growing.

1 Like

Okay!

1 Like

I got mine to consistently retract by upping the retract amerpage in the yaml file to 1400. Also on mine when it sits flat on a table all the arms are stacked up so the lowest one, closest to the sled had the most friction and would take like 5 tries to retract. By holding the sled as it would be for a vertical frame the weight is off and the belts all retract as designed

1 Like

I packed the absolute maximum amount of belt that we could possibly conceivably fit on there because I figured it was easier to cut them then it would be to lengthen them so I figured I’d give everyone the option.

Shortening a bit is a great option that will make things spool a little more tidy.

1 Like