Best setup for raspberry pi

Ok everyone - I’ve got it running, I can open up web control from my other computer with my RPI connected…but there’s no motor sounds or movement when I try and move the Maslow. Troubleshooting tips?

I refreshed the ports to connect to and the only option I’m seeing is the ttyAMA0, which from the dummy guide is a no-go, any ideas/help for why the ttyAMC0 port isn’t available? how do I make the ttyAMC0 port the default?

Everything works just find when I plug into my old setup. (windows machine - same settings, using a COM3 port)

Best,
Shae

Oook…now it’s on ttyACM0 after a good old-fashioned hard restart, buuut there’s still no movement. Help? My weekend Maslow time is precious and running out :slight_smile:

if the arduino is “talking” meaning your status indicators are green (upperarrow):

But if your lower console or “controller messages” area is empty, there is not communication. You should see continuous messages there as the controller communicates with the rpi.
If you have messages, but no movement, check the motor power supply (12V) to the motor shield (upper board).

1 Like

Thanks all - I got it connected today and everything worked! I’ll do a couple test cuts and then I should be good to go :slight_smile:
This community is great and provides so much help and support - I hope I can pay it forward.

2 Likes

Thanks for your question. I will be reading through all this when I get mine as this is all new to me.

DO you know if anyone documented or put together a tutorial to get the RPi running the Maslow via Web Control or Makerverse???. I find there is a lot of posts and threads which get confusing, but havent found the definitive “how to do it” guide.

Check the wiki category. The manual is in there. You can use an image or pull a repository release. There are YouTube videos similar to the written step by step guides in the wiki.

2 Likes

@ukdel Listen to the @Orob, he knows the way! This is the way!!

2 Likes

Many thanks… Will have a close look at it all…

As an aside… and probably a new subject… but sortta linked… Has anyone considered using a Pi as the controller, rather than the Arduino?

a Pi running Linux is not a good choice to run a hard real-time system with
short deadlines. Both the hardware and the OS are not designed for it and have
too many cases where they can be busy on one thing and miss a deadline to move
(or to record an encoder pulse)

Now, multi-cores at high clock speeds can cover this to a large extent, and
people are successfully running LinuxCNC to manage some systems.

But the Maslow is an odd beast in how it works and the common software won’t
support the type of motors and kinematics that the maslow has.

It could be done, but it would be a lot of work, more work than on a arduino
type system, and we have trouble finding enough programmers to maintain it
there.

expanding on this, what you really want is some tiny core to manage the encoder
and PWM pulses, and then something else to do the planning, run the UI, etc.

A Pi pico with it’s separate processing units would do a wonderful job for the
encoder/PWM work, but it doesn’t have the processing capacity or connectivity to
do the planning/UI well.

klipper splits the work in a very nice way, but it doesn’t support the
motor/encoder combination well (it does have support for the kinematics though).
There are a number of different projects I have run across that want to add this
to klipper, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of interest from the klipper side
to support it.

David Lang

What ever happened with the Beagle Bone Black and those dual PRUs? The machinekit linuxCNC port seems to have fizzled out