Buying full kit or parts

I was about to buy a kit with z axis when I noticed that I could buy all the parts with z axis for about $249 (vs $455), am I missing something? I am a broke student every penny counts…

I am only missing two small L brackets for the motors…

2 Likes

Welcome @S_Turner to our group.

No one will fault you if you source the parts your self. This is the meaning of “Open Source”

You are open to use any parts from any where. Question is that the cost of base parts or the parts and shipping? As there are hundreds of parts, shipping on each part would mount up quickly.

Either way I look forward to you engaging in our community.

Thank you

1 Like

Are you getting to that figure by adding all the individual parts in the store rather than the main kit? There are a bunch of fixings and the arduino that would need to be included as well, but i see your point.

1 Like

I did build my Maslow from parts, and it wasn’t because I am a broke student, but I just love the experience with sourcing alternative parts and try to make them work. It work at the end, but took a month longer than I intended. So yes you can save up about 30%, but will cost you time and a lot of effort. One advice - purchase the ring system kit or the pantograph kit because that was the hardest part I had to build, and the ring system is hard to source or make by yourself, I tried lazy Susan bearing, which was fine until saw dust concentrated inside the bearing and make it stuck. Pantograph was easier to make in general, but harder to get it right, and overall I feel like ring system work more effective.

1 Like

if you can afford it, get the full kit, you will be sure that you don’t miss
anything, and you will be supporting the people who are putting this all
together better.

They really should tweak the prices of the individual parts so that it’s not
cheaper to buy everything separately, it’s significantly more work for them to
box all the individual parts than to ship a packed kit. I understand that they
feel uncomfortable charging us that much of a markup on the spare/replacement
parts, but they really should do so anyway.

David Lang

1 Like

The parts alone from the store is everything I need minus the Motor brackets and the arduino

From Store:

• 1 x Maslow CNC Z-Axis Kit
  • 1 x Solid Tungsten Carbide ¼ Inch 2 Flute Up-spiral Bit
  • 2 x Base Machine Motor & Cable
  • 1 x Arduino Shield v1.2
  • 2 x Chain
  • 1 x Maslow CNC Ring System Kit

From Other Stores

Normal other parts

• 1 x Ridgid R22002
  • 2 x ¾” (18mm) 4’x8’ plywood
  • 2 x Red bricks
  • 4 x 2x4 by 10’ long
  • 3 x 10-32 x 1in. Screws
  • 2 x 3/8" by 10" hex bolts with 1 nut and 2 washers each
  • 2 x 1/4" by 5" carriage bolts with 1 nut and 1 washer each
  • 4x 1/4" by 3.5" carriage bolts with 1 nut and 1 washer each
2 Likes

There are a few extra parts you will need on top of the separate parts you can buy from the shop like sprocket, power supply, arduino and other fasteners.

Not on your list are sprockets for the chain motors (similar to these from McMaster-Carr) and for the slack chain tensioning arrangement (sorry, I don’t have a link).

Larry, you did not seem to read my post the arduino is in there… Blurfl pointed out the sprocket…

Thank You Blurfl!!!

I found another post about the sprocket, said any #25 sprocket will do, then just bungee string

NM, Found it 12V DC 5A / 110-250V AC Power Supply

Full Parts List Here

2 Likes

Thanks for the well-organized spreadsheet :+1:. Some comments, though.

The main motors have 8mm shafts but don’t come with sprockets. The sprockets should be something like these (make sure to confirm the specifications):
1pcs 8mm Bore 10 Teeth 10T Metal Pilot Motor Gear Roller Chain Drive Sprocket 928857717301 | eBay.webloc (223 Bytes)

The sprockets for slack management need to pivot freely on some manner of hook or carabiner through their center (look up Type A sprocket) but the ‘plain bore’ ones with no keyway and a circular center are hard to find. You could probably do some filing or machining on the center hole of something like this:
Amazon.com - 11 Tooth Sprocket (D-bore, use #25 chain) for 100w 125w 150w 200w 250w 300w electric sc….webloc (129 Bytes)

The standard 5A power supply is adequate, but since you’re buying one, look at something taller - 10A, maybe? The connector needs to be 5.5mm x 2.1mm. I’ve never tried this one, (and it isn’t UL listed as the one you linked is) but is looks like a candidate:
SJP Adapter Power Supply 100-240V to DC 12V 10A Converter Adapter 120W High Power Switching Power Su….webloc (206 Bytes)

The shaft couplers listed seem unnecessary - the Z-Axis kit comes with one, and the main motors use type B sprockets with set screws.

For the Ridgid router, take a look at ‘Ridgid R22002 refurbished’ results. I bought one from ‘CPO Outlets’ but recently there are a number of other sources, and lower prices as well.

1 Like

Thank you! List updated, I had forgotten about the shaft from, oh… you earlier, I had order 2 and a shaft (1/4 to 5/16)

Full Parts List Here

I got mine from ebay (used) for $123 with a squaretrade 4 year warranty no shipping

1 Like