Cheap Dust Collection Solution (Roast it?)

Any oppinions on this https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-International-3-4-HP-441-CFM-1-Phase-120-Volt-Vertical-Bag-Dust-Collector-System-with-Wheels-BT8010/206347737

1 Like

:thinking: Not that I tried it… but from the looks:
The thin down pipes and the bent sheet metal frame makes it look flimsy from the picture.
The only filter seems to be the top bag. That might leave fine dust floating in the workshop.
Seems they don’t sell it in the stores, so no chance to have it plugged in and check suction vs. noise.
My guts tell me not to buy it, but if I would, first mod would be to have a bucket below.
The customer reviews are not encouraging at all.

2 Likes

I’d avoid it, if only for the totally clueless company rep posting in the questions section. Don’t expect any support from the vendor. Too small a motor, too little claimed airflow (real will be far less), and the first time something solid goes through it say goodbye to the plastic impellor

While it should be enough airflow for a Maslow, while it lasts, there are better choices. Even a similarly priced Ridgid shop vac would work

2 Likes

www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/

Bill Pentz has done the most research and gives plans to build a very good cyclone. Spend some time reading his sight and you will know how to calculate the amount of vacuum you really need for dust collection (more air and bigger blower than you might think). The math isn’t hard.

Why did he do it? Bill was an avid woodworker and his MD told him to stop or die. Making a clean work environment was his response.

If you want to just purchase a commercial build done by his plans, check out clearvue cyclone http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/ (and open your wallet. But it is your money or your health).

A Maslow may not need a ClearVue, but the Pentz web sight can help you build one that will work just about as well with the CNC rig (and sanding table is a good idea for making projects ready to finish!).