Plug and play dust collector?

Can anyone recommend an option for dust collection that is plug and play? We are finally up and running, and I’d like something quick and easy that I can easily attach that will handle our sign making dust.

Have you tried a shop vac with the paper filter? I get the cloth filter paper that goes over that with a ring to secure it and find it usually works pretty well for most stuff. I have been using my shop vac without the prefilter for cleaning up my floors from making my Maslow parts and it blows some of the finer particles out. I need to put that prefilter back in. I have a yellow shop vac, which had a higher HP than the red IIRC.

What are you cutting mostly? If it is particle board you will definitely want a good filter as I understand.

1 Like

Shop vac works fine. A shop vac with a dust deputy thing works even better. And a dedicated dust collector is the ultimate.

2 Likes

Words in cursive is our main focus right now. I have a shop vac, but the hose doesn’t fit snugly.

1 Like

I think I used an adapter from the router to a 2" hose. Never did have any issues. Now I have the meticulous z axis so I use 2".

2 Likes

I just found this and think I’m going to pull the trigger.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-5-7-Amp-660-CFM-Dust-Collector-with-12-Gallon-Bag-and-Optional-Wall-Mount-3401/304660870

3 Likes

Look forward to hearing how it works! That’s similar to what I wanted but I haven’t seen that before. The price is right.

1 Like

I use one of these and it’s pretty reliable:

https://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon-industrial-portable-dust-collector-31810.html

I made an adapter and strain relief like this:

http://maslowcommunitygarden.org/Rigid-Hose-Adapter.html

2 Likes

Ooooo I like that one too! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I use a homemade system, but similar systems with a relatively small footprint can be found online as well. Here is one example.

1 Like

+1 for a cyclone setup - With a regular shop-vac, you’ll fill it up and either clog the filter (if you’re not using bags) or fill the bag and need to toss it. There’s a whole slew of ‘cyclone bucket’ clones out there and they’re a great solution - the bucket fills and you just empty it out. Shop vac filter stays relatively clean and you dont spend a fortune in bags.
I have one from my local Rockler. I think I paid <$30 for it on sale.

One tip - if you do get one of those buckets and it’s on wheels, you’ll probably want to put a brick or two in it, they’re pretty top-heavy with all the hoses connected.

As for the connection - What router are you using? Most have some sort of clip-on hose adapter, it might be a separate piece you have to buy…

1 Like

The Harbor Freight option says it is the same CFM but is more expensive…is there a reason to go that route that I don’t understand?

1 Like

I have been using the WEN one that is mentioned above with a dust deputy inline.
The amount of dust that escapes seems to be negligible.
The only issue I had with the WEN initially was that it was tripping its internal breaker.
After adding some vibration dampening material and removing the dust bag for less resistance I have not had this issue.

1 Like

image image

Its a dust deputy, with a shop vac. Extremely effective setup, 99.99% dust collection. Still doing some modifications to it but nonetheless great set up.

3 Likes