Clamp on body of Ridgid r22002

I got my new Maslow up and running but I am having some accuracy issues. My circles come out as ovals currently. My guess is that part of the issue is that the clamp that normally would lock the Z position of the router is currently slack so my z-axis mod can work. What are people doing with this clamp? I was considering backing the nut off so it doesn’t clamp so hard, but I’m not sure.

I’ll be messing with it this evening and will report back anything I figure out.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what you should do, back the nut off a little. It needs to be snug when clamped but not so tight the z-axis (depth adjustment) can’t move it. I also lightly lubed the router body to help it move in and out more smoothly.

I didn’t have to adjust the nut on ours from the factory, but you may. Leaving the clamp open will definitely affect accuracy, but I’m not advanced enough to know if that is causing your problem.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t expect clamp-issues to cause oval circles… that’s more a calibration issue. Are the off measurement in the vertical direction but good in the horizontal?

2 Likes

It seemed to be almost on the diagnal. I’ll reconfirm this evening.

1 Like

For the sake of answering my own question, in case anyone else is in the same boat, adjusting the clamp and greasing the contact surface works great. I backed the nut on the clamp mechanism out 3/4 of a turn and it moves nicely with no noticeable slop.

3 Likes