Concrete anchors

I’d like to connect Maslow4 directly to a concrete floor to show that you don’t even need to build a frame and I’m looking at concrete anchor options.

I have some of these which are nice, but they leave a bump on the surface that might be annoying as a tripping hazard.

I’d really like to find something like these which recess into the surface, but these are for wood only:

These look great, but they are from a weird supplier so the could take a little while to arrive:

Does anyone have any experience with a good concrete anchor or any ideas for interesting ways to connect to a concrete floor?

There’s also epoxy in options like this:

Tapcons

There’s a lot of concrete expansion anchors on the river source

1 Like

Drop in concrete anchor like these Drop-In Anchors

They are widely available. And the install tool is cheap. When installed are flush or slightly recessed. One would want to thread a headless bolt into them when not being used to keep cruft out. I’d go with anchors for 1/2 bolts with an antisense just for the durability of repeated removal.

1 Like

You could use those Sammy anchors too. One would just need to drill a shallow 7/16 hole for the “head” to fit into so it would be flush and rig up a driver with a bolt and a couple nuts to set them from the inside theeads instead of using a wrench on the outside.

1 Like

That Tapcon video was super helpful, I was absolutely going to under size my holes for the Sammy anchors that I have

@Melvin have you used those drop in anchors? The idea of pounding them into me seems like they could end up being lose, but they do seem to be widely used and liked and the pull out strength numbers are impressive.

I’ve installed hundreds maybe even thousands. As long as you

• Don’t drill the hole too deep
  • Use the tool and really drive it in
  • Bolt whatever your bolting down all the way; don’t leave a gap

they hold well.

However I have never removed and replaced the bolts in any particular anchor more than a few times. Should work though.

1 Like

I’ve already thrown the idea of a pool safety cover anchor into the mix but here is a link:

Installation Video:

I like the idea of being able to screw the acnchor point flush when not in use.

1 Like

Be careful not to drill into a post tension floor. I’ve seen some garages have tension floors, they usually have a warning stamped in the front.

1 Like

Also, commercial buildings with high floor load ratings too. They may only have the warnings on the construction prints. @bar where are you planning on doing this?

1 Like

I gave it a shot today with the Sammy’s anchors that I already had and other than the fact that they leave a bump that protrudes when they aren’t in use, they work great.

I don’t have a garage right now so it was just in my driveway which I am absolutely positive is safe to drill holes in :grinning:

Edit: full disclosure I didn’t cut that M outside, that was done earlier on the other frame. It was just a piece of plywood that I had laying around so I threw it down to play around on.

5 Likes

Ok, I’ve set my PoolZilla anchors :wink:

Tips:

• You may want to start with a small concrete drill, step up two times, then get to 3/4"
  • You WILL want a couple of 21mm diamond drills to clean up and straighten the holes. The 3/4" drill makes kinda lumpy holes.
  • After you’ve pilot drilled it and stepped up, diamond drill in an eighth or so before going after it will the big drill.
  • You may want to alternate between the diamond and the concrete drills.
  • You will want to clean the whole way down the hole and make sure your anchor will end up flush.
  • Clean, clean, clean that hole! A vacuum AND a compressed air nozzle are a winning combination! A round brush would be good too. No water! You should be able to SEE the aggregate in the sides of the hole when its clean.

I used JB weld to set mine. The Poolzilla anchors are closed on the bottom. Unscrew the screw and tape the top of the anchor to keep glue out of it. Tape around the hole to control squash out.
Smear epoxy into the side walls to make sure they are fully wet with epoxy. Put a good big blog on the bottom and push/turn the anchor in. Scrape off the excess and make sure the anchor is all the way down. Wait. 24+hours.

I think I’m going to machine some special bolts; the existing anchors will not go over the Poolzilla screws. I like the stock ones for keeping the hole clean! I’ll let y’all know when I’ve nailed down the thead size and details.

3 Likes

These are super cool! I was looking at those as a really neat option, it’s great to see them in action.

Keep us posted!

1 Like

The male threads are 0.54" 12 TPI. That might be an undersized 9/16"-12 thread… They do feel kind of sloppy.

When installing, consider putting a weight on them so trapped air doesn’t push them up :frowning:
They ended up not as flush as I was hoping for; 3 out of 4 are sticking up a bit. I’ll grind them off later when the garage isn’t full of half-painted murphy bed!

I’m thinking that I’ll set a few more for stock anchoring. At least two strips to locate the stock and provide anti-tip, plus maybe 2 more or camming thingies to clamp?

3 Likes

Next update: the threaded holes in the PoolZilla anchors are 9/16"-12, and fit bolts from the hardware store. If you have a lathe, you can buy stock bolts (say 4" or so) and turn down a section to fit the existing belt ends.

If you don’t have a lathe, you might want to look at printing larger ends that will fit over the 9/16" bolt, and also print a spacer that holds them up at your desired height.

I’ll post pictures as I work on these…

2 Likes