Cutting Oval with temp sled

Whoa I can’t believe that just happened. Sorry guys.

4 Likes

I’ve learned my lesson here. Just was curious for a long time how the trust levels work, researched them and shared it. It was intended as a motivation and encouragement and has turned the opposite way.
Perhaps it’s better not to give new users to much details on how the Forum restricts them on the first few posts. At least we know that you can get from level 0 to level 1 in 10 minutes by reading 30 posts.
Sad that i might be responsible for a new user lost in the Forum.

2 Likes

Couldn’t disagree more. It’s amazing to watch the cordial and courteous way you guys handle things. Anyone can choose to be offended about anything. I wouldn’t blame yourself in the least.

I’ve seen over and over that the Maslow is created so more people or even “anyone” can do large scale cnc. While the claim might be true, it takes certain personality, traits, skills and talents to make it successful. I would claim it isn’t for everyone. Hopefully he keeps trying. It can be frustrating but the machine can be dialed in and perform wonderfully. Thanks to all forum members for your support, willingness, knowledge and friendliness.

7 Likes

I second that sentiment. It is unfortunate that @Jason_Edward was so frustrated that he couldn’t get out of the negative experience he was dealing with, but I don’t think that your providing information should have made it any worse for him, especially considering that you provided him with a potential solution first. I wonder if he missed that posting for some reason and only read your second posting.

Regardless, more than one person tried to reconnect with his technical issue, but he didn’t seem interested. Thank you all for keeping your heads.

I agree, it would be great if he is able to get past his initial frustration and come back for help. At this point is seems like there’s nothing but good things that can come of it. And if he finds a place to post about the supplier, that is not a bad thing either since it might help them adjust their information to prevent future customers going through the same bad experience as Jason.

It does make me wonder who he bought the kit from. It’s fine to point new people to the forum, but at the very least give them an idea of what to expect from us. We are not a paid troubleshooting line, and the sellers that count on us to help their buyers need to make that explicit. I would be surprised if it was Bar that sent him blindly to the forums.

3 Likes

I agree. So much help here. Thanks everyone!
I mean it so much.
This was heartbreaking because lots of you know I’ve been that frustrated and you just talked me down and built me up!

1 Like

In all honesty, if I were a supplier (and I’m not) I might use words like “You can get all the help you need from this community.” Because it’s true. Not that they were trying to shirk responsibility but maybe just realizing that they were a good supplier and this community was the best at problem solving. Why would they take on something that this community was better as a whole than they were singularly in the business they are trying to run. In truth the supplier may have said “I’ll help you all I can but this community is where you’ll find most of your solutions.” It’s not like we don’t see that some conclusions have already been jumped to.

1 Like

English is not my mother tongue, hope this was a compliment to this fantastic people here :face_with_monocle::crazy_face:

2 Likes

Yes! Basically I meant “calm me down!”
“Keep calm and make chips!”

2 Likes

Ok, so i will not flag your post! :grin:

3 Likes

At least we can laugh now!

(Potato Hontas 1863)

2 Likes

I apologize if that came across as me thinking that the suppliers should be taking on troubleshooting themselves. That was not my intent. What I was trying to say is that it seems like Jason felt like he was buying a product that came with some level of support directly, and it makes me wonder how the product is being marketed. I don’t think that anyone who bought Bar and Hannah’s kits had any illusions that what they were buying was anything other than a tinkerer’s kit that would take significant work on the part of the purchaser. It may or may not have been the fault of marketing, or it could have just been unrealistic expectations of how the kit would come together. In any case, I am trying to say that it should be explicit that what the buyer is getting is a kit to make a tool, and not the tool itself.

2 Likes

This quote should be highlighted :100:

3 Likes

This could be of use for responses, where i see my failure.
The quotes text is where the topic was not the oval anymore.
I relied on the “This is a new user, let’s welcome him” popup and did not check his reading time or level. I did later and he was then level 1 with 2 hours reading time. It would have been better to check his level first and if it was:

• 1 let him post pictures and the .ini
  • 0 involve him in reading time

With the main links provided the focus switched on the trust-level just because it was mentioned.
This was avoidable.
Learning by doing is a very sufficient teacher, i must say.

Kind regards, Gero

1 Like

No need to apologize to me. My point was that when reacting without experience (and we all have) the originator of the post could be reading tact and praise (for this community) as passing the buck. :smiley: I say all this can do (aside from a miscommunication like this) is compliment the Maslow CNC forums.
Own it “@community”. This is far superior to one or two people trying to negotiate customer service!
I know I’m biased and maybe a little addicted :wink: but Maslow CNC forum ROCKS! :fist::guitar::drum::microphone::man_dancing:

1 Like

So, having just built one of these things…

It sounds like OP didn’t understand that he was buying a box of parts that have the capability to be built into a CNC. The responsibility for ending up with a functional unit is the buyer’s.

I’ve had multiple setbacks, and honestly NEVER got GC to work. (Thank all that’s holy for @madgrizzle and Webcontrol). I asked for help, got some, but it was my job to fix the problems or find ways around them.

I don’t think OP got that distinction, and I don’t think this interaction could have gone any other way until he realized it. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

This community is awesome! Dlang you are awesome. I’ve been a fly on the wall for a long while now. I got the kit a good bit ago and have been distantly afraid of it. If it wasn’t for these conversations I would be lost. I have the patience of a slug. Please don’t give up giving advice. Seriously, aren’t circles ovals (read ellipse) anyway? I mean c’mon. This is a safe environment to talk about something very very geeky. Thank you all for trying to make it simple.

5 Likes

Thanks, this isn’t the first time that I’ve said something that I intended to
calm someone down, only to have them take it as an attack. I don’t understand it
and try to recover, but sometimes (like this one), I don’t understand what’s
happening.

Thank for the reinforcement and comments on my long-term value.

David Lang

4 Likes

I second this!

And this!!

2 Likes

Without @dlang too many of us would have jumped off the barn roof with only an umbrella.
:open_umbrella::warning::wink:

4 Likes