Drops & Toolpaths

Long time listener, first time caller…

I’m just now finding out about Maslow and trying to determine if it’s the right tool for me. I believe that it is, but I have one (silly) question for now.

Because the work piece is vertical, when you make the final pass, I would imagine that the drop would literally want to drop. I imagine then, that you would want to orient the toolpaths so that the final pass ends on the upside of the part, correct? Also, I imagine that you’d want to nest and run the program in a way that you work up the work piece? I’m not necessarily new to woodworking or machining; i’m just trying to wrap my mind around this. Pending financial approval (from the wife) I’m probably going to be buying!

Thanks for any response!
Mike

2 Likes

@mgreslick

Welcome to the show. :slight_smile:

The way this is handled is you want to design “holding tabs” material the is not removed to keep the work in place. You then remove them by hand. I will look for one of the threads that covers this and follow up. There are no stupid questions.

Thank you

2 Likes

Hi there, in this short and loud video you can see me cut the tabs :slight_smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irexgItpHuY

3 Likes

Here are 2 threads on it -

Thank you

1 Like

Awesome, thank you!

I looked around a bit to see if I could find info on it, but I guess I wasn’t looking for the right buzzwords.

Thanks again, I appreciate it!

2 Likes

Vocabulary is always the first hurdle to jump when learning something new!

2 Likes

I put a bug in MakerCam’s ear to make all the in/out at the top center of the part… but no word yet other than “hey-- the Maslow looks interesting”

I bet that would be Ed Ford. Keep in mind Maker CAM is a side project. They have Carbide Create another CAD/CAM platform and 2 hardware platforms they are supporting at the same time.

Thank you

MakerCAM’s reached end of life, don’t expect anything except maybe an easy bug fix. Ed’s got bigger concerns running a company that has it’s own CAM tools and earning that private jet.

Speaking of bugs, MakerCAM is written in Adobe Flash, a bug infested sewer that had a major impact on turning the net into a, well, bug infested sewer. For a while it was about the only way to do (so for a while not a bad choice until it’s dark side appeared) in the browser programming but Flash was just a flash in the pan. MakerCAM would need a complete recode, and weighing private jet against replaced free tool…

I think the source is available, give it a try

2 Likes

The MakerCAM source is available? Ooooh that’s interesting… I just converted a web advertisement from 2008 that was Flash/Actionscript to HTML5/Java Script. It was stupid simple, though, nothing like an application similar to MakerCam but I can see where someone could use Animate (Creative Cloud app from Adobe) to take a stab at it.

2 Likes

Found it on giggle

1 Like

I think the original version is partKAM. If we can get it up and running so we can work on it I would love to pay for the hosting.

Here is the original creators git page:

1 Like

MakerCAM is a further development of PartKAM and replaces it per the original cnczone topic

I’ll try loading it up in Animate to see how complex it is. I’m guessing I won’t be able to do it on my own but I might know some folks who can help. :wink:

2 Likes