Errors shown while compiling and uploading arduino code to arduino boa

I followed the instructions to download Arduino IDE and download latest firmware (version 0.86 as I write this). I opened the file “cnc_ctrl_v1.ino” and when I hit upload it appears to upload to the mega board but there are a long list of errors in orange that show up while it’s compiling and getting ready to send it to the board.

I’m not deeply experienced with Arduino but is this normal every time you upload a file? It still says “done uploading” so I assume it’s uploaded properly but I am not sure.

I have taken a screenshot which shows the Arduino IDE screen right after I finished uploading with all of the errors showing in orange but I don’t know how to attach the jpeg to this forum post.

Welcome!

To attach a photo to your post, click the “upload” button in the toolbar above your message.

It looks like this: upload

1 Like

You might want to crop (if appropriate) and shrink the resolution to something like 800 x whatever to save a bit of server space uploading. Pictures are important, but you can go from multi-megabyte to a couple hundred K without making much of a difference (check first!) in picture quality. The one I just did went from 2+ MB to 189K.

I normally use WinDoze Paint (hey, it’s easy) but the GIMP and lots of other tools work well too. WayBack when I first started Internetting there was something called the “Bandwidth Conservation Society” that give tips on how to improve those 28.8 dialup gif load times…

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice and for telling me how to upload the photo. I went back and edited the original post to upload it.

Not sure what all the errors are but it seems that the ground control is talking to the motors although there still seems to be a lot of bugs like when you test the motors and encoders they work as supposed to but when you hit the up arrow for y and the auto z axis moves down toward the surface that’s not right. Also still seems to lose chain calibration every time I start ground control but I don’t know if that’s from these arduino errors or not.

In the past I always had 2 orange errors with every Firmware upload, but the Maslow would run.
Just uploaded FW 0.86 and get a bunch of errors also. I doubt to have a running firmware on the Mega after seeing this:

sketch/number.c: In function ‘bc_str2num’:
sketch/number.c:1523:7: warning: assignment discards ‘const’ qualifier from pointer target type
ptr = str;
^
sketch/number.c:1548:7: warning: assignment discards ‘const’ qualifier from pointer target type
ptr = str;
^
sketch/Axis.cpp: In constructor ‘Axis::Axis(const int&, const int&, const int&, const int&, const int&, const String&, const int&)’:
sketch/Axis.cpp:34:82: warning: invalid conversion from ‘volatile double*’ to ‘double*’ [-fpermissive]
_pidController.setup(&_pidInput, &_pidOutput, &_pidSetpoint, 0, 0, 0, REVERSE);
^
In file included from sketch/Axis.h:22:0,
from sketch/Axis.cpp:20:
sketch/PID_v1.h:21:10: note: initializing argument 1 of 'void PID::setup(double*, double*, double*, const double&, const double&, const double&, const int&)'
void setup(double*, double*, double*, // * constructor. links the PID to the Input, Output, and
^
sketch/Axis.cpp:34:82: warning: invalid conversion from ‘volatile double*’ to ‘double*’ [-fpermissive]
^
sketch/PID_v1.h:21:10: note: initializing argument 2 of 'void PID::setup(double*, double*, double*, const double&, const double&, const double&, const int&)'
void setup(double*, double*, double*, // * constructor. links the PID to the Input, Output, and
^
^
sketch/PID_v1.h:21:10: note: initializing argument 3 of 'void PID::setup(double*, double*, double*, const double&, const double&, const double&, const int&)'
^
In file included from /home/whoareyou4/Maslow/Firmware-master086/cnc_ctrl_v1/cnc_ctrl_v1.ino:15:0:
sketch/CNC_Functions.h: In function ‘void executeGcodeLine(const String&)’:
sketch/CNC_Functions.h:1251:19: warning: passing ‘const String’ as ‘this’ argument of ‘String& String::operator=(const char*)’ discards qualifiers [-fpermissive]
gcodeLine = “”;
^
sketch/CNC_Functions.h: In function ‘void interpretCommandString(const String&)’:
sketch/CNC_Functions.h:1297:23: warning: passing ‘const String’ as ‘this’ argument of ‘String& String::operator=(String&&)’ discards qualifiers [-fpermissive]
cmdString = cmdString.substring(secondG, cmdString.length());
^
Sketch uses 39110 bytes (15%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 1894 bytes (23%) of dynamic memory, leaving 6298 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.

I have seen the errors for quite some time, I will admit since everything still works I haven’t dug into what they actually mean.

That’s really strange, I see no errors at all:

What are your settings in Arduino Preferences?

Good point @blurfl. When I set ‘Compiler Warning’ to default, I’m back to 2 errors. Try ‘All’, a bunch of unused variables, some even set and unused.

1 Like

That is really strange that yours doesn’t show any errors.
I just installed the arduino IDE for the first time on this computer and left all of the settings default so it should all be up to date.

By the way when I extracted the zip file with the firmware and all of the libraries I just put the entire folder in the area where arduino looks for sketchbooks. Are you supposed to do some sort of separate manual including of libraries as well?

1 Like

Oh, that might be the issue. I just leave the downloaded folder somewhere like my desktop and then do file -> open from within the Arduino IDE.

Would you be willing to give that a go and see if it fixes the issue?

1 Like

absolutely I will try that tomorrow.
being pretty new to arduino I wasn’t sure where to extract the zipped file to so I just put it all in the folder that arduino made under users/documents/arduino. I thought that the .ino file was supposed to be in the sketchbook folder not just anywhere.

I’ll try tomorrow and see if that makes any difference and then I’ll report back

1 Like

They can go pretty much anywhere. I have a d:/downloads/maslow directory then extract all into the default directory from there. Makes keeping multiple versions separate easy, just open the appropriate .ino file and click upload.

Do the same using the portable version of GC. Really don’t like lots of desktop files, but make an exception for a GC shortcut since the full path gets pretty long.

Linux will be different, and those are really the WinHose backslash abominations