Trouble uploading firmware for the first time

This is a new set-up and I get this error when i attempt to upload the firmware:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

C:\Users\tdarnell\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_Firmware-1.18.zip\Firmware-1.18\cnc_ctrl_v1\cnc_ctrl_v1.ino:36:20: fatal error: Maslow.h: No such file or directory

#include “Maslow.h”

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

On a Windows machine, this is usually because the firmware .zip file hasn’t been extracted yet. Extract the files and open from there and all should work correctly.

2 Likes

thought I did that but will try again thanks,

1 Like

Well it looks extracted to me. This is a copy of the path:

C:\Users\tdarnell\Downloads\Firmware-1.18.zip\Firmware-1.18\cnc_ctrl_v1

1 Like

Duh, I needed to use extract all.

Thanks you were spot on.

4 Likes

I just built my frame and am bench testing the motors before installation.

I am running Win 10 on a Surface Go. Connected to the Arduino through a USB 3.1 Type-C 4 plug hub (not powered.)

Following the instructions at: http://maslowcommunitygarden.org/Firmware.html?instructions=true

Everything is going well and as expected. Only difference is that it is COM3 instead of COM1.

Error upon uploading:
Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

Build options changed, rebuilding all
Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\natew\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_503504\core\core_arduino_avr_mega_cpu_atmega2560_0c812875ac70eb4a9b385d8fb077f54c.a
Sketch uses 57098 bytes (22%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.
Global variables use 1987 bytes (24%) of dynamic memory, leaving 6205 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega2560 -cwiring -PCOM3 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\natew\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_485706/cnc_ctrl_v1.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:00:53
Copyright © 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright © 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM3
     Using Programmer              : wiring
     Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
     AVR Part                      : ATmega2560
     Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
     PAGEL                         : PD7
     BS2                           : PA0
     RESET disposition             : dedicated
     RETRY pulse                   : SCK
     serial program mode           : yes
     parallel program mode         : yes
     Timeout                       : 200
     StabDelay                     : 100
     CmdexeDelay                   : 25
     SyncLoops                     : 32
     ByteDelay                     : 0
     PollIndex                     : 3
     PollValue                     : 0x53
     Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
       Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
       ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
       eeprom        65    10     8    0 no       4096    8      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       flash         65    10   256    0 yes    262144  256   1024  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
       lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
       calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
       signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : Wiring
     Description     : Wiring
     Programmer Model: AVRISP
     Hardware Version: 15
     Firmware Version Master : 2.10
     Vtarget         : 0.0 V
     SCK period      : 0.1 us

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9801 (probably m2560)
avrdude: reading input file “C:\Users\natew\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_485706/cnc_ctrl_v1.ino.hex”
avrdude: writing flash (57098 bytes):

Writing | ###avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
the selected serial port avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
does not exist or your board is not connected

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Welcome to the Forum!
Did you try 1) upload without the hub between pc and mega 2) upload the blink sketch from the examples to see if that uploads?

Additional info that could be useful: Windows version, version of the Adruino IDE

1 Like

Can’t not do a hub - only USB Type C plug available on the Surface Go.
Yes, I have tried “blink” sketch and it its working fine. (I removed the maslow board)

Windows 10 Home, Arduino 1.8.5 (I have tried the App from the Microsoft store and also the application downloaded from the Arduino website.)

1 Like

Just more information:

Arduino Programmer: AVRISP mkII

1 Like

If the blink sketch uploads the connection with the mega should be ok.
Did you unzip/extract the firmware into a separate folder?
Edit: Is this the newest 1.20 release?

https://www.disciplesofcnc.com/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Site.PrecompiledFirmware

I sent him this and a link to the most current software bundle with xloader and build 1.19 on www.disciplesofcnc.com

A new bundle with 1.20 is pending because of the Mac build.

Thank you

1 Like

Yeah, it doesn’t seem to be the connection because of the blink sketch.
The code also compiles okay.

I did extract it but left it in the download folder, perhaps I should try moving it out.

Tried 1.20 and 1.19 - futility on both.

It seems it cannot connect with the board.

Simple things first: did you select the right COM port?

Also try to enable the verbose. Maybe there is a clue in that log.

1 Like

So I have removed the motor driver board.
I pulled the un-zipped directory out of Download folder (just in case)

I can alternate load the “Blink” and “Bare Minimum” sketch so that I can see the light behavior change. I see the lights on “RX” and “TX” light up each time I load one.

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

However, when I compile and upload…

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9801 (probably m2560)
avrdude: reading input file “C:\Users\natew\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_785045/cnc_ctrl_v1.ino.hex”
avrdude: writing flash (57098 bytes):

Writing | #avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
avrdude: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
the selected serial port avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
does not exist or your board is not connected

Thank you Bee. I have tried the XLoader option and have gotten “Can’t open COM” errors immediately. In the midst of another try. Stuck in “uploading.” As a newbie, I don’t know how long should this take through Arduino or the XLoader.

I have not seen any activity of the RX & TX lights. The “blink” sketch still appears to be working on the board.

Checked in my device Manager: COM3 = Arduino. Only thing connected to the machine other than my Bluetooth mouse.

Strange… Could you activate the verbose?

It looks like a hardware problem if you can’t connect to a com port - I will link the same mega used in the kit. There is a 50% chance it is on the pc side or the usb cable. I can’t link now I ‘m driving- more later

Thank you

Many thank yous!

I am trying the whole new set up on an old laptop. Will let you know what I learn.

1 Like

So set up on the old laptop running WIndows 10. Everything worked perfectly. Was able to move motors and everything.

Only difference is that it was directly attached to the USB with no hub. Can test it on the old laptop because it doesn’t have a USB-C port.

Moved it back over to the Surface Go and it did the exact same thing.

I’m going to move forward with the old laptop and hope it can run Ground control well enough to make good parts.

Thank you all!

3 Likes