First Actual Cuts. It came out great!

I finally made my first real thing!

I must admit getting started with cutting my own projects was pretty intimidating. I didn’t understand how to go from initial concept to final product, but after a short search on YouTube, I was off to the races. After one initial attempt that didn’t turn out. I went back to the drawing board and spent a little more time in Makercam and viola! a finished product! this machine is amazing and the level of precision after a little calibration is great!

14 Likes

Looks good! How do you plan on finishing it?

1 Like

I think ill probably paint it. thought about using some epoxy and filling the pockets with that, then an ebony stain on top.

@jcourrier

Belated welcome to our group. Great work! Keep it going - you’re doing great. I’m a bit behind you and probably won’t get to it until next year. The Holliday’s and all. Thanks for being inspiring.

Thank you

1 Like

That is beautiful! Was that a 1/8th inch bit?

1 Like

yes sir, I found that when i calculated the paths for the initial try they didn’t fit well with the 1/4" bit, i didn’t realize this until i went to actually cut it out. luckily I had an 1/8 in. bit handy. dropped the tool size down to 1/8" and it came out fine. i also found that it worked better to do an individual pocket profile for each letter and section saving time on the z raise and lower, not to mention travel time between cuts. Having an absolute blast with my Maslow!

@bar, what a great thing you have built!

4 Likes

@jcourrier

What a great replication you have build! :smiley:

2 Likes

@jcourrier would it be ok if I used this picture in the newsletter later today?

shoot! didn’t see this till now, if I post pictures on the forum, you can feel free to use whatever you’d like @bar

3 Likes

Did you do something special to mount the triangulation kit? Looks like it’s raised up off the sled?

Yes it is raised. Depending on 1) your router and how heavy and high it is, 2) the weight you have on your sled (bricks) and 3) material/size/weight of your sled, the centre of gravity is higher then the sled base.
The original chain-mount brackets have several holes to adjust.

Ideally you have both:

• if you hang the sled by the chains, the tilt angle forward should match the workpiece angle.
  • chains are parallel to the workpiece, so the sprockets on the motors have the matching distance.
1 Like

Sorry for the late response, Yes i raised the brackets up using a 2x2 cut in to 4 sections of equal length, I used the original stationary mounting brackets as a guide, whatever hole you were using on the stationary brackets should be the length of your spacers.

1 Like

can you point me to the youtube video?

1 Like