Floating foam watch faces

9 Likes

Cool.

What kind of bit did you use for the foam, and how deep where the cuts for each pass?

1 Like

Very Cool. Keep up the good work.

Thank you

These are 6’ tall watch faces made to float in an indoor event space pool for Bremont watches in nyc.
I cut 3” high density insulation foam in 3’ x 6’ half circles, joined them with 3) 6” x 1/2” dowels and adhesive at the horizontal seams.
I used the 1/4 bit from the Maslow store and did 1/2” per pass. It cut like butter.

5 Likes

Wow, thank you for sharing. It made my night!

1 Like

Awesome!!! I think this is the first thing I’ve seen made from foam, so congratulations on the first!!

2 Likes

The foam cuts really beautifully and with virtually no effort so I set the plunge depth to half an inch and it cut clean, sharp, and accurate edges. I’ll be marking foam letters for the Oakley Prizm stand this weekend that I’ll share with the community.

2 Likes

How did you make the face numbers? Is that from a vinyl cutter?

Thank you

I have an HP L25500 latex printer and a Graphtec FC 8600 -160 plotter for printing and cutting graphics. I’ve been waiting all my life for something like the Maslow to make my world complete. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

These are 6’ tall watch faces made to float in an indoor event space pool for Bremont watches in nyc.
I cut 3” high density insulation foam in 3’ x 6’ half circles, joined them with 3) 6” x 1/2” dowels and spray adhesive at the horizontal seam, then applied a printed vinyl face.

1 Like

How did you cut the whole 3" depth? Isn’t the bit too short for that? Did you mess around with the motor spacing to account for extra thickness?

1 Like

I actually only cut about 1.4" then ran an Olfa click blade around the perimeter using the Maslow cut as my guide which was very simple, clean, and fast. It took about 5 minutes each piece to do the manual cutting.

3 Likes

I’m only mad because I wasn’t invited :wink:
I like your router base weight. is that a metal plate? it matches the pool bearings

I wasn’t invited either. I just do the design and building, then I go home. :slight_smile: Yes the base weight is a metal plate foot that I had left over from a kit of backdrop signage. It’s a little heavier than the bricks which is fine. The advantage is that it turns out to perfectly balance the base center of gravity. I used my drill press to make matching holes to the sled so I could still use the standard Maslow attachments.

5 Likes